Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Covid Booster for all over 50's  (Read 2543 times)

holidaylover

Covid Booster for all over 50's
« on: June 24, 2022, 08:36:40 AM »

It's been announced that all over 50's are to be offered the booster in the autumn.  I'm feeling very anxious now after I thought it was just to be offered to over 65's.  I really don't want another as I truly haven't felt well since my first one.  But, as it is at the moment, I'm sure this will be a stipulation for overseas travel so will be coerced into it for the sake of my holiday.   I'm just getting over having Covid, and although it wasn't nice, I think I would rather risk getting it again, as opposed to risk the side effects of the vaccine.  How has this fourth (or fifth in some cases) dose been trialled?  How do we know the long term effects of having all these vaccine doses in one year?  This news is already affecting my anxiety and I don't want to feel like this.  Is anyone else feeling apprehensive? 

Aprilflower

Re: Covid Booster for all over 50's
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 08:40:49 AM »

I'm definitely not having anymore.  I reacted badly to the Moderna booster and feel the risk is too great to have anymore.

I know several people who have had problems, some small, one disastrous.  I'm done.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 08:45:24 AM »

We have choice.  I would suggest that if you don't want any more jabs, that you wear masks when in crowded places even if others won't.  Also keep up with the hand washing and deep cleaning of door handles etc..  That hand wash stuff was useful in small bottles, as long as it is over 75% alcohol.  I don't think that Vodka works in quite the same way ;-).

Thus far I have avoided anything other than the snuffles during Autumn 2020.  DH had a gut event in mid-March, probably due to mixing with others who no longer wear masks,  :-\ as otherwise we are covered when out and about.  He tested negative at the time.

Friends went to Europe recently, all have tested positive on return: it's 'gone through' the family with 3 days gap between each feeling ill.  I don't agree with not isolating when tested positive as we don't know how long it is in the body so when it gets passed to the next person.  I think we should avoid mixing for at least 5 days!

Have U reported your reactions on the Yellow Card system, as there will be ongoing Research to garner information ready for the next Pandemic.

Aprilflower

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 09:00:05 AM »

https://www.bmj.com/content/376/bmj.o298

As you can see, the vaccine performs badly at preventing transmission.  I won't be wearing a mask.

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 09:01:41 AM »

It's been announced that all over 50's are to be offered the booster in the autumn.  I'm feeling very anxious now after I thought it was just to be offered to over 65's.  I really don't want another as I truly haven't felt well since my first one.  But, as it is at the moment, I'm sure this will be a stipulation for overseas travel so will be coerced into it for the sake of my holiday.   I'm just getting over having Covid, and although it wasn't nice, I think I would rather risk getting it again, as opposed to risk the side effects of the vaccine.  How has this fourth (or fifth in some cases) dose been trialled?  How do we know the long term effects of having all these vaccine doses in one year?  This news is already affecting my anxiety and I don't want to feel like this.  Is anyone else feeling apprehensive?

It depends where you're going on holiday, Spain still want vaccinations for UK tourists but you can have a PCR test instead if your vaccine has expired. Greece and Turkey have no restrictions now and all you need is your passport.
 I was ill with my booster and don't fancy another, but if there's an increase of illness and covid variations I'll have it. Although it didn't stop me getting it, at least it made my illness milder having the jab
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 09:11:19 AM by Dierdre »

holidaylover

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 09:23:49 AM »

CLKD, I'll certainly not be wearing a mask!  They gave me horrendous anxiety the first time round and I was never in a shop for nearly two years because of them.  That ship has sailed I'm afraid. I'm also done with the door handle wiping and even using sanitizer now.  I needed to be back to 'my normal' for my mental health.  Yes I did report to the Yellow Card system, and unless I get answers to my ongoing health issues I'll not be taking any more jabs.  I get a feeling that doctors are turning a blind eye to anything that may be jab related and trying to pass it off as something else.  That's my opinion anyway and because of that my health anxiety has been awful.  And what actually is the outcome and the point of the Yellow Card scheme ? Going forward it must be clear that there have been lots of people affected by the vaccine, yet here we go again with yet another one.  Do the people that reported no count?  Dierdre, we do holiday in Spain, but will look at other options in the future if need be.  The PCR test before travel would make me anxious, it would just be my luck to test positive before the holiday!  I don't fancy Turkey, but I like the Greek islands.  Spain's loss!!

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 09:39:56 AM »

We’ve just come back from Lanzarote and we didn’t have to show our vaccinations. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Marchlove

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 09:49:33 AM »

I won’t be taking the booster because I’ve never taken any of them and neither has my husband.

We both got covid in April 2020 and again in May this year.

I had two reasons for not taking the vaccine. Firstly, I reacted badly to a flu vaccine about 5 years ago and secondly because I got covid early I was happy to rely on my natural immunity rather than risk taking part in a stage 3 trial.

Initially my husband and I suffered a lot of condemnation for our decision although we’ve found as time has gone by this is no longer the case and many of our friends have decided not to have any more.

I personally have never tried to persuade anyone regarding taking it or not as this is a personal decision.

X

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 10:03:38 AM »

When does a C-19 vaccine expire?  Usually they are 12 months apart  :-\.  I've had 3 so far.  Friends who were vaccinated have been infected twice  ::)

I love my mask  ;) I try to co-ordinate with my top or jeans.  That's as arty as I get  :D

I'll be reading that Link in more detail Aprilflower, because I'm too muggy right now  :-\

Eviepf

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2022, 12:03:30 PM »

Each to their own, I guess.

Personally, I'm very keen to receive another booster (at age 65) in view of the current increase in cases and the possibility being reported by experts that the BA4/BA5 substrains of Omicron may be more like the Delta variant, in attacking the lungs more, instead of causing cold-like symptoms. (I do realise that this far from certain at the moment and am sure that there is ongoing discussion between different groups of scientists).  The narrative that Covid is basically all over, is definitely counter to the current situation in my view. I continue to wear an FFP2 (minimum) mask in situations where I feel it's warranted, even though most other people have given this up.

Given the reported frequency of longer-term effects on the body of even 'mild' cases, I'm pretty keen to avoid infection, if I can, although I do realise that realistically I probably won't be able to. I know that the current vaccines are not good at preventing one from contracting Covid, but they do still seem to be pretty good at preventing severe illness and hospitalisation.

Bring on my booster, is what I say, although it's very understandable that those who had bad reactions to previous doses will feel conflicted about this. I'm fortunate that this doesn't apply to me.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2022, 12:41:41 PM »

Have a look-C at the Research which is taking place ....... often to be found on the business pages  ::) or ask your GP or local Pharmacist?  It may not alter how you feel but may reassure you that C-19 Research will be on-going, as is seasonal 'flu research. 

Lynda07

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2022, 01:42:16 PM »

Hi Holidaylover.

I'm sorry you are feeling so anxious about this. I totally understand as I got myself in a real state at the thought of having the original booster last year and suffered a couple of months of agonising over what to do. All I can say is for me personally my whole gut instinct was telling me not have it and in the end I didn't. I will not be having anymore. I understand you want to travel, this isn't something I am considering in the near or long future but as others have said, there are places you can still go should you choose not to have this next booster.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2022, 05:15:17 PM »

If people are content with their decision, as long as they keep themselves as safe as possible then get out and enjoy Life. 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2022, 07:29:33 PM »

No more jabs for me. 3 is enough. No masks either.  I currently have covid but am on the mend.  My son refused all jabs but has picked up covid from us.  he just has a sore throat.

My daughter’s partner’s Dad was cremated last week aged 62. After his last jab he was dreadfully ill and died in hospital.

Harmony

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2022, 07:35:02 PM »

Having three or more vaccines can't be (isn't) good for the immune system, and a good immune system is so important for health generally. So many people who've had all 3 have had covid several times or more. The risk of dying from it for most people is tiny, much less than 1%. It only presents a serious risk to the elderly, or those with certain underlying conditions. I'm appalled that it's now being rolled out to young children!

My gut feeling was very strongly not to have it, especially as I have M.E. Many M.E sufferers (thought to be about 30%) have sadly had their health ruined, some people after just one. Some have been permanently bedbound since having it a year or more ago, with awful symptoms on top. I made the mistake of having one very late in the day, after all the pressure to have them, thankfully I haven't been affected so far. I certainly won't be getting any more though, having heard of some of the terrible adverse effects. I'm sure many more will come to light in time. Everyone who's had it is a guinea pig, and I've read from credible sources that many will take years to develop. I feel so angry that it was almost impossible to find any information about the dangers until recently, and "whistle blowers" who were trying to warn people were effectively gagged on social media.

To my knowledge I haven't had covid, and this year I've been mixing with other people after a very long time of mostly avoiding it, other than going shopping. I haven't been wearing a mask for months either, and haven't been sanitising my hands or anything else. I wonder if some peoples genes protect them from it. My niece who works in a doctor's surgery has had it once I think, and as far as I can remember she's the only one in the family who has.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 07:45:02 PM by Harmony »
Pages: [1] 2