Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: At my wits end!!!!  (Read 1193 times)

louisecb

• First Flush
At my wits end!!!!
« on: May 05, 2022, 05:00:31 PM »

Hi I’m new here and hoping for some advice.  I’m 51 and been on HRT for 14mths now.  I have always had PMT then postnatal depression and when I hit perimenopause all the mood symptoms worsened.  I was also having night sweats and joint pain and my mum died from complications so I was eager to try it.  I had Evorel Conti patches as still having periods but I began to struggle with the second half of the month when the progesterone patches were on.  Felt irritable and had anxiety which I’ve never suffered with before. They swapped me to Evorel with Utrogestan two months ago and things have gotten significantly worse.  I have to take 200mg on Day 15 for 12 days and two days in the mood changes start.  I’m now on day 8 and just like last month, I’m feeling so low I couldn’t care what happens to me.  I’ve never been suicidal before so this is really scary.  I’ve considered just stopping the HRT altogether but days 1-17 I feel so wonderful I can’t bear to give it up.  Please tell me there’s an alternative to this as I can’t carry on much longer with this treatment and I’m scared stiff of coming off it altogether and going back to the meno symptoms I had before. 

Flossieteacake

Re: At my wits end!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 06:12:22 PM »

Hi I’m new here and hoping for some advice.  I’m 51 and been on HRT for 14mths now.  I have always had PMT then postnatal depression and when I hit perimenopause all the mood symptoms worsened.  I was also having night sweats and joint pain and my mum died from complications so I was eager to try it.  I had Evorel Conti patches as still having periods but I began to struggle with the second half of the month when the progesterone patches were on.  Felt irritable and had anxiety which I’ve never suffered with before. They swapped me to Evorel with Utrogestan two months ago and things have gotten significantly worse.  I have to take 200mg on Day 15 for 12 days and two days in the mood changes start.  I’m now on day 8 and just like last month, I’m feeling so low I couldn’t care what happens to me.  I’ve never been suicidal before so this is really scary.  I’ve considered just stopping the HRT altogether but days 1-17 I feel so wonderful I can’t bear to give it up.  Please tell me there’s an alternative to this as I can’t carry on much longer with this treatment and I’m scared stiff of coming off it altogether and going back to the meno symptoms I had before.

Hello louisecb and welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to hear you have lost your mum. I became very low on Utrogestan and like you felt suicidal. As you are feeling so low I would stop the utrogestan. It is not worth risking your mental health for. It can take time to find the right progesterone as some of us seem to feel depressed when using it.

I think you need to contact whoever has prescribed this to you urgently and stress how you are feeling. I found within 2 days of stopping I was no longer feeling suicidal. Please do not suffer or struggle with this on your own. You will have lots of support here.

There are other kinds of progesterone out there and it can take time to find one that suits.

louisecb

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 10:34:43 AM »

Hello @flossieteacake and thank you for replying.  I have made an appointment with my GP and will discuss it with them tomorrow.  I decided to stop the tablets early this month, after 10 days instead of the 12.  You were right as within 48 hours I stopped feeling low and suicidal.  Its crazy that it can have such a powerful effect!  Hopefully the GP will come up with a good solution.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 10:38:07 AM »

Hello @flossieteacake and thank you for replying.  I have made an appointment with my GP and will discuss it with them tomorrow.  I decided to stop the tablets early this month, after 10 days instead of the 12.  You were right as within 48 hours I stopped feeling low and suicidal.  Its crazy that it can have such a powerful effect!  Hopefully the GP will come up with a good solution.

I am relieved you have updated your thread as I have been thinking of you and hoping you were okay. Thank goodness your low and suicidal feelings have gone. I agree how crazy it is progesterone can affect us. I hope you get on well at your GP appointment.