Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT dosing post meno  (Read 1133 times)

Menodame

• First Flush
HRT dosing post meno
« on: August 08, 2022, 04:15:34 PM »

Hi I'm mid 50s and went thru menopause at 50. I've recently decided to give HRT a go in an attempt to protect heart, bones and memory. I have had the usual meno hot flushes etc for about 7 years or so.     
I've been put on evorel 25 patches as I get migraine as it delivers a more even dose. I'm also taking utragestan 100mg one at night.
I was advised to cut the patches in half to start with but still take one prog every night. Am having a really tough time with progesterone as I feel really out of it in the morning and can't mentally function until midafternoon and feel I could sleep the clock round. Do you think it would be safe to take one prog capsule every other night while on half dose patches?

I still do not know if I'm doing the right thing putting hormones back in. I've been using oestrogen gel for dryness and that has been great but whether its right to just go for more at mid50s who knows? I've have read it can be protective on longer term health.

Any advice would be helpful...esp if you are post meno and have started HRT. If I asked my gp they prob wouldn't know.
Thanks so much

joziel

Re: HRT dosing post meno
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 04:32:46 PM »

With the progesterone, you can first try taking it a bit earlier in the evening if that works for you - so it doesn't last so long the next morning.

Otherwise, you can use it vaginally - the same capsule you currently take orally - and that should mean you avoid the sleepy effects of it... Lots of women use it vaginally.

Menodame

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 05:25:54 PM »

Thank you.
I will give those two suggestions a whirl.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 10:22:30 PM »

According to Louise Newson though not the manufacturer you can halve the dose if you use it vaginally, so one every other night. I'm not sure how much testing she's done for high doses but should be fine for your dose. I use it vaginally but still get fatigue.