Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New to the HRT Journey  (Read 1151 times)

Nellie57

• First Flush
New to the HRT Journey
« on: May 17, 2022, 02:29:05 PM »

Hi everyone - I've taken the plunge after 6 years trying to manage without HRT (just using estradiol as a pessary).  I've spoken to my very help Menopause Nurse today having pretty much decided I wanted to try an oestrogen only patch and micronised progesterone (Utrogestan).  However after asking me all the medical background questions and family medial history she's suggested Bijuve as being a good option for me as my risk of blood clot is low.  I'm trying to find out more information about it as I know it's only been available in the UK since 2021.  I'm not liking some of the side effects I've come across and am concerned as to whether or not 1mg would be a high enough dose of estrogen and I haven't seen that this could be greater.  I'm not sure how 1mg equates to a patch that's 50mcg (maths conversions are not my thing)!

It's thrown me into a bit of head spin and I'm becoming confused with some of the articles I've come across.  Guess I'm really after a comparison between Bijuve and the Evorel patch and separate progesterone I'd originally thought I'd be prescribed.  I want to keep my risks as low as possible whilst taking it regardless of medical history saying I'm low risk to the tablet format of Bijuve.  When it's being heavily promoted that transdermal is the safest option then it's hard to get your head around taking Bijuve although I appreciate risk of this is lower as the progesterone element is body identical although I've not sure if this is utrogestan or another make.

I appreciate that as it's still fairly new, not many of you have real life experience of it.  I've been left to research and think about it ahead of my next call with the nurse on 30th May.  I want to make the right decision for me.

Thank you.

Taz2

Re: New to the HRT Journey
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 04:38:04 PM »

Hi Nellie. Welcome to the forum.

I'm in a rush at the moment but this is a thread about Bijuve which might be useful for you  https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,60442.0.html

The side effects listed are standard for all HRTs. They have to include all possibilities. It can be very confusing but with the help of this great forum you will get there.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 05:51:35 PM »

Hi Bijuve is a new hrt and is the only tablet treatment which contains a body identical progesterone. So you’d be getting the same as using a patch and Utrogestan.

The only drawback, as you say, is that it only comes in one strength and that may not be enough oestrogen for you. x

Nellie57

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 05:52:39 PM »

Many thanks Taz I'll take a look.  I've also wondered as there is such a high demand for patches, gels etc at the moment they are trying to get people like me with less risk to have Bijuve instead to even out supply!

Nellie57

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 05:55:06 PM »

Thank you Dotty that's helpful

Hi Bijuve is a new hrt and is the only tablet treatment which contains a body identical progesterone. So you’d be getting the same as using a patch and Utrogestan.

The only drawback, as you say, is that it only comes in one strength and that may not be enough oestrogen for you. x