Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hi - First Time Poster…  (Read 949 times)

Deborah_S

• First Flush
Hi - First Time Poster…
« on: March 27, 2022, 10:46:48 AM »

Hello, all. Nice to be here.. :)

I’m knocking on the menopause door. 49, and starting to experience changes to my fairly regular cycle. I’m planning a visit to my GP next week to chat to a professional, but I’m finding the balance of ‘that’s normal/abnormal’ a tricky one. My Mum died of cervical cancer, and had a number of symptoms she ignored until she had limited options.
Appreciative of any and all advice and  experiences or reassurance that I’m not losing my sense of perspective.

Thank you!
Deb.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi - First Time Poster…
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 11:06:30 AM »

:welcomemm: peri-menopause can be a time of uncertainty.  Menopause - the last period - is natural but sometimes that can be overwhelming in the years leading to that final bleed.

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  MayB decide which symptom you would like to ease first.

How old was your Mum ....... it's a difficult one which is why keeping up with smear testing is important. 

We have threads on everything, sometimes we talk about menopause ;-).  "Doing Stupid Things" and "There's a Strange Woman in. my House" will raise a giggle.  Ask away, nothing is OTT here.

Brown round.  Make notes.  Do read the Vaginal atrophy thread.  If U don't get any joy from your GP ask for a referral to a specific NHS Menopause Clinic. 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 11:22:55 AM »

Hello Deborah_S and welcome to the forum. It is good to hear you have made an appointment with your GP. I hope they are helpful.

Deborah_S

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 11:38:35 AM »

Hello CLKD. Thank you for this reply. A lot of really helpful suggestions here.

Coincidentally my employer ran a menopause awareness session last week, and classified menopause as "one day in your life". That day, 12 months and one day after your final period, and everything else is either peri or post. I'm most definitely peri.

My Mum was 70 when she died, but had been living with cancer for 4 years or so. Pandemic had put paid to access to local smear clinics, but I'm pleased to say I was tested last autumn with nothing to worry about for another few years, or until there were inexplicable changes.

Also at that awareness session they shared the 34 recognised physical, psychological, digestive, vasomotor, oral and nervous system symptoms. I have quite a number, mostly low to moderate level and manageable, but things I would never have attributed to perimenopause. I have a lot to learn, and this space seems like a great resource to do exactly that.

Thanks again,
Deb

:welcomemm: peri-menopause can be a time of uncertainty.  Menopause - the last period - is natural but sometimes that can be overwhelming in the years leading to that final bleed.

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  MayB decide which symptom you would like to ease first.

How old was your Mum ....... it's a difficult one which is why keeping up with smear testing is important. 

We have threads on everything, sometimes we talk about menopause ;-).  "Doing Stupid Things" and "There's a Strange Woman in. my House" will raise a giggle.  Ask away, nothing is OTT here.

Brown round.  Make notes.  Do read the Vaginal atrophy thread.  If U don't get any joy from your GP ask for a referral to a specific NHS Menopause Clinic.

Deborah_S

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 11:41:47 AM »

Hi - thank you! I have since posting caught up on an awareness session provided by my employer, and realised there are so many other avenues of support. I will not be daunted if the GP is not the best source of information, but seems like a logical place to start.

Thanks again.
Deb

Hello Deborah_S and welcome to the forum. It is good to hear you have made an appointment with your GP. I hope they are helpful.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 11:57:48 AM »

Experieinces shared can be read, taken up if necessary or put onto the back burner for later.

Do encourage your employer to read "Me and My Menopausal Vagina" - mayB order it yourself, read and pass on. ;-). Written by a Member of the MM Forum.