Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Evorel Conti patches- placement and sensitivity to absorption  (Read 2466 times)

menomope

Hi there all Evorel Conti users or ex users
I hoping to get anyone's opinion or experience that might be similar to mine. Any thoughts very welcome x
I have been using Conti patches since Aug 2019. I am many years into menopause and previously used gel/utro ( found it very messy so switched). Some spotting in the early days of the switch and I had a scan to check lining as Dr was jumpy. But lining was fine and well below threshold.In these early days I put patches on my thigh and then switched to the side of my hips then I moved to the side of my bottom. I suspected that this shifting of sites was causing the spotting but I never really knew- I even posted about this on here.

Everything settled down for a year but after xmas this year I started putting patches on the fleshiest bit of my bottom as I thought I ought to move them? Was wondering if constant staying in the same place was going to cause a problem ( I was switching sides- but its not that big an area). I did not think it would make much difference. Anyhow I then developed very sore breasts- like unbearably so which I thought was odd. I had a routine mammogram during this time which was excruciatingly painful but all fine.

After a few weeks I got really fed up of the very sore breasts and I decided to move back to putting the patches on the side of my hips again ( where I had them in the earliest days). I just wondered if I am very sensitive to placement of patches and the site of  the fleshiest area meant I was absorbing more/ too much oestrogen- hence the sore breasts. Now I have switched back the absorption is less and the sore breasts have suddenly gone ( thank goodness) and I am experiencing very slight spotting. It is as if I have had a drop in Progesterone and hence a tiny lining shed. I do expect this will clear.

my question is has anyone else had this reaction to patch site? Or does anyone know anything about patch sites? I have read occasional things about bottoms absorbing 'better' or 'more'. So kind of assume that my switching away from the bottom has meant a hormone inbalance/drop for me. Does this sound plausible? Trouble is we are all so unique in our reactions to hormones and there is no one size fits all. I think I may just be very sensitive to a slight change in hormones. I could mention this to my Dr but I really think he won't know anything about placement of patches and I dont feel I need another scan unless the spotting does not stop. I plan to move back to the side of my bottom with the patches as an inbetween area which worked for a year and not put them on the fleshiest bit ever again- to avoid the sore breasts.

All thoughts/advice gratefully received !

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Evorel Conti patches- placement and sensitivity to absorption
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 12:31:02 PM »

From where I'm sitting - see what I did there  ;) - it seems that the fatty buttock area mayB alters the rate of absorption.

How R your symptoms overall?

menomope

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 01:03:41 PM »

Hi CLKD
I saw what you did there ;D
Yes -I think the fatty buttock area does increase the rate of absorption ( or mess it up). Or at least with me.
Symptoms are fine on HRT for me. I do use ovestin. Without HRT I would struggle.
So I dont need 'extra' hormones so sticking the patch away from the fattiest area will be what I will do from now on.
I know that using the gel gives women flexibility on dose- beginning to think ( with me) that where I stick the patches has similar effect- except it is both hormones.
There just is not the info out there on this- maybe it is just me?

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 03:11:24 PM »

I believe oestrogen is absorbed by the fat cells so perhaps that might explain the apparent increase. No much experience of it myself as the only place I could get them to stick was front of thigh. It's generally recommended to use the same site and just switch sides with each change so you get a consistent dose each time. The alternative would be to put in on your bottom but cut a piece off but easier just to use the old site.

menomope

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 03:59:39 PM »

Thanks Sheila

Dawnp

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 12:17:34 PM »

This thread has really made me wonder. I have been using patches for months now, at increasing doses, but with no improvement in my symptoms. Currently up to a 200 dose but my last blood test showed my estrogen level was still only 236, which is low for someone on hrt. I also now seem to have worsening symptoms every time I change my patches. Things are horrendous in fact. I have always put the patches on my lower abdomen, which I would call quite fatty. Am now wondering if I should move them to somewhere like the front of my thigh, which is less fatty to see if it makes a difference.

menomope

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 03:18:30 PM »

Hi Dawnp
I am pretty sure that where I put my patches affects the absorption of the hormones with the fattiest part of my buttocks absorbing the most. For me this caused breast tenderness which was too much for me. Switching to my hips has eased this tenderness as this area is less fatty.
I know that we are supposed to stick to the same area for consistency ( and swop sides) but in a way perhaps we need to find where the best placement is for each of us? Perhaps also for others it makes no difference where the patches go.
I just wanted to share my experience in case it helps others.
I would be interested to know how you get on if you do decide to try another area.

Dawnp

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2022, 03:34:07 PM »

I think it will be worth at least trying it so I’ll post the results back on here. 👍

Clarella

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2023, 02:28:06 PM »

Hello dawn, just wondering if you found any difference with your patch placement?

Clarella

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2023, 02:54:48 PM »

I can’t seem to get straight answers anywhere! I’m going to have to experiment

It’s occurred to me though that it may take time to build up in the fatty areas so to perhaps stick to one placement method for a week.

I always thought that women start accruing fat in meno because oestrogen is stored there. But I’ve no idea if that’s relevant.

Clarella

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2023, 02:57:18 PM »

My breasts are completely deflated. I definitely have felt better before. I’m on quite a high dose now though.

I’ve considered over lapping the 25 patch

Betsy123

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2023, 05:27:25 PM »

Yes definitely, doctors really dont know what to do and to be fair mine has tried different hrt but now says he feels out of his depth and hence the referral. I've never tolerated progesterone and tried both the injection and mirena as contraception and had depressive effects on both so I should have known really. Hope it works for you.