Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: laparoscopic surgery to remove cyst/ovaries/remaining fallopian tube - advice?  (Read 1367 times)

SandJ

I'm having this surgery on Sunday. Last time, when they took out a twisted fallopian tube, I healed well other than the belly button incision, which took months - it just wouldn't heal. I'm worried about this particularly, as I have severe sciatica due to L4/L5 disc bulge and one of the few ways I can sleep is on my stomach. If anyone has any tips or advice, or just general advice about healing after surgery, I'd be very grateful to hear. I have ME/CFS and am much more debilitated than I was. Thanks!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Could you sleep on a 'ring' type thing?  Either put firm pillows either side of you so that your belly isn't pressing on the mattress or have a lookC at the mobility websites.  There mayB something suitable?

I too go off to sleep on my belly. 

Honey helps healing ;-).  A bit messy though  ::)

:foryou:

Gnatty

I would recommend you keep a really careful eye on your hormones - I was on HRT prior to hysterectomy and oophorectomy, but still suffered the infamous hormone crash. I had to increase my gel to 5 pumps and also increased testim. Do remember that your ovaries supply most of your testosterone so you will need to replace. As for healing, I would up the vitamin C intake, it will really help.

SandJ

Can you let me know what a hormone crash might feel like? I had very high estrogen levels about a month ago and my GP suggested only 1 pump plus two micronised progesterone capsules. I never used testosterone because I couldn't handle the smell... maybe I should re-consider?

I would recommend you keep a really careful eye on your hormones - I was on HRT prior to hysterectomy and oophorectomy, but still suffered the infamous hormone crash. I had to increase my gel to 5 pumps and also increased testim. Do remember that your ovaries supply most of your testosterone so you will need to replace. As for healing, I would up the vitamin C intake, it will really help.

Gnatty

I think it depends whether you are pre or post menopausal. So I was very much premenopausal. For me the symptoms were sudden and overwhelming No sleep, sweats, shaking, and just terror. I don't think I helped myself as I was reading horror stories of operations going wrong etc etc. If you are postmenopausal that's a different scenario as your oestrogen levels will be mostly being provided by your hrt. Once I increased my doses I started to feel better. I also needed a very low dose of antidepressant. I think I was unlucky tbh to have had such an experience.
I think the testosterone is certainly worth reconsidering especially as you are lacking in energy. Just hold your nose while you apply it. The smell soon disappears!