Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New member  (Read 1491 times)

Sheila65

« on: January 24, 2022, 02:42:10 PM »

Hi I'm a new member just finding my feet on here! I'm 65 and didn't expect to be here if I'm honest but problems with vaginal atrophy have driven me to seek help,I'm hoping to benefit  from the advice and support on here

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 02:51:23 PM »

Hi!   :welcomemm:

We have threads about bladder issues and vaginal atrophy.  The latter can present as repeated urine infection-type symptoms.  A fresh urine sample should be sent to a Lab. to check for bugs, then appropriate 'vagifem' or 'ovestin' can be prescribed.  The idea with both is to insert it every night for 2-3 weeks, then every few nights.  Some require treatment nightly, as well as a moisturiser - have a lookC at the 'yes' and 'sylc' web-sites too.  I use a little 'ovestin' on the outer labia to keep the area moist.

Let us know how you get on.  Nowt is taboo; we have threads about everything  ::)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 03:08:14 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. It is so good you are going to get appropriate treatment for the vaginal atrophy. CLKD has given you great advice.  :)

Sheila65

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 03:42:36 PM »

Hi
Thanks for the advice this started 2 months ago,thought it was thrush/ water infection, it wasn't thrush but had a water infection so had antibiotics which didn't work,2 different types later and another water test which was negative! Had to stop antibiotics they made me ill! Doc examined me and said I needed oestrogen so vagifem and ovestine,used vagifem daily 3 weeks and ovestin for 4,it was getting better good and bad days,after another appointment she put me on HRT patches evorel 100 for 3 months,and vagifem twice a week and took me off the estriol,now 2 weeks into the patches I've had a bad 3 days symptoms getting worse, not sure whether to up the vagifem and use the estriol I have left to rub on....so fed up sorry for the essay!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 04:02:57 PM »

I find for severe atrophy it is best to use vagifem or ovestin daily. I have been usng ovestin every day for about 3 months now. I have no intention of stopping as I still have a lot of pain. HRT side effects lasted me for a while so hopefully your symptoms will ease soon.

Joaniepat

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 05:54:16 PM »

As Flossieteacake says, you need more Vagifem, and also to reinstate the estriol cream. Systemic HRT does not always reach the genitourinary system, although a lot of GPs seem to think a couple of Vagifem should be enough once you are on systemic. Not true! And VA can take months to get under control, especially when you have been oestrogen deficient for so long.

JP x

GynaikeĆ­os

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 06:14:13 PM »

Hello Ladies  :)

VA is a rotten experience so  I sympathies with you. Like  Joaniepat says VA  is  separate treatment from  your other  HRT. I have had VA for a  year. I  was  only  prescribed estriol so cannot  say about  vagifem sorry but after first 2 weeks of estriol every night - I found it took something like 2 months  before I felt the symptoms were reliably improved. I have had to apply when I feel it is needed. Sometimes it is every 2 nights and sometimes every 3 nights. For months 3 and 4 I applied every night to  where  the  symptoms were causing  trouble. For me that was urethra  and labia. It felt like  cervix  needed  loads  of  TLC to return to supple  :o  Quarter  dose  in the morning  helped me  when I  had to work  well  away  from good  facilities.

Keep up with your  efforts  and  find  what work for you :) It will be  OK just different  :)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 07:10:48 PM »

Get back to using 'vagifem' every night.  For as long as it takes.  If your GP won't prescribe 'ovestin' as well, have a look at 'yes' or 'sylc'; I find that KY jelly is enough to keep the labia moist so that it doesn't itch etc..

ABs will ease initial symptoms but won't replace the oestrogen which is the cause of atrophy.   As levels drop the whole body may become dry: inside and out  ::).  Skin, deep in the ears, nostrils, eyes, vagina, anus, between the toes ....... as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

Join The Club  ;)

Sheila65

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 07:32:37 PM »

Thanks everyone I've been keeping a diary so I'm going to use the fagifem daily for a week and use the cream externally,I'm going to have to ring my doctor after that and ask for more,she's been thinking of referring me to a consultant but with the state of the NHS that could be months! So I would have to go private! But she's not sure yet what consultant? Gynaecology?? Or? Any advice girls?

Gracie

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 07:37:04 PM »

Hi Sheila65
All great advice from the other ladies. My story is very similar to yours. With vaginal atrophy you have to be very patient for the treatment to start taking effect.
Vagifem, used alongside Novestin daily took four months to work for me but now I have no symptoms from this chronic condition.

Don't give up on the two treatments because they will work for you, it just takes time!

Gracie

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 07:44:04 PM »

"she's been thinking of referring me to a consultant but with the state of the NHS that could be months! So I would have to go private! But she's not sure yet what consultant? Gynaecology?? Or? Any advice girls?"

I didn't need to see a consultant, my doctor knew straight away what I needed and prescribed the necessary treatment.
You can over complicate things and I would wait to see if the vagifem and the cream you are using to work before seeking hospital treatment.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 07:46:17 PM by Gracie »

Sheila65

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 07:49:20 PM »

I'm so glad I came on  here I have got some hope! I've been slapping the yoghurt on for 2 days as I thought it might be thrush! As we all know it feels similar! The joys of being a woman!!

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 08:04:16 PM »

I now know the difference between thrush and VA.  When I had thrush I would eat and apply LIVE yoghurt several times a day - cleansing the gut from top downwards. 

VA treatment really works if used regularly. 

Why would your GP think of referring you Sheila65, why not get on with it due to long waiting lists  :-\.   A gynaecologist wouldn't be my advice as they often know very little.  A dedicated menopause clinic, however there are waiting lists so continue with the VA treatment.

Sheila65

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2022, 08:13:34 PM »

Thankyou CLKD,
you're a big help! I'm going to talk to her next week, got to convince her I need vagifem daily I did stay on for 3 week's daily instead of 2 as I didn't think it was enough I've still got a full tube of estriol aswell so will blitze it!

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2022, 08:28:35 PM »

Blitze it gently  ;D

Don't wait until the prescription runs out ;-)
Pages: [1] 2