Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Conservatories to be banned in the UK from June 2022  (Read 5192 times)

sheila99

Re: Conservatories to be banned in the UK from June 2022
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2022, 07:08:56 PM »

Perhaps they confused England with their holiday homes in southern Spain. My house needs warming up not cooling down.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2022, 07:13:54 PM »

We lived in a very old property made of stone on the snow line.  One layer of so it was cold all year round.  Lovely in the Summer when one wanted to cool down!  No way could insulation be applied as it simply wouldn't work. 

Floors were quarry tiles.  Huge rooms with small fireplaces so the heat went up the chimney.  We loved living there  ;D but I wouldn't be *that* cold for anyone, ever again  :lol:

jaypo

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2022, 01:16:40 PM »

We live in an old listed building,not allowed double glazed windows so the heat just escapes right through them,just put on that cling film stuff in the winter,planners need to get a grip in  these days of climate change but don't get me started on that bunch of individuals  >:(

sheila99

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2022, 01:46:36 PM »

If someone reports it they'll do something but if not they don't bother in my area. The farmhouse is grade 2 with mullion windows, we replaced them with double glazing in wooden frames several years ago and no one has said anything. Might be different if it's grade 1 or you have neighbours who like to complain though. But I agree, planners should need a very good reason  for refusing an energy saving measure.

VictoryV

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2022, 02:01:56 PM »

Same position here Jaypo, listed and not allowed to meet proposed efficiency legislation coming in 2025.
Agree Sheila, I’ve had to get a downstairs window made, sneak it past neighbours in the middle of the night, get a fitter to come without his commercial van and then get the old one dismantled and off site unseen again! This has taken 3 months and there are many more to do!

Aprilflower

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2022, 02:24:45 PM »

Same position here Jaypo, listed and not allowed to meet proposed efficiency legislation coming in 2025.
Agree Sheila, I’ve had to get a downstairs window made, sneak it past neighbours in the middle of the night, get a fitter to come without his commercial van and then get the old one dismantled and off site unseen again! This has taken 3 months and there are many more to do!

Oops.

Don't want to worry you but it may be a criminal offence.  Penalties of unlimited fines and up to 12 months in prison.

Don't think I'd risk it.  Rather move.

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2022, 02:33:33 PM »

This is a real meander  ;D

I know of a couple who spent years renovating a Grade II* - they had to jump through hoops and fire balls to get every application for any changes - then HS2 ploughed right through it  :'(.  They had bought it, put money and love into it, now they are feeling defeated.  So much for Historic England protecting all that hard work and expense.   :-\

If the worst happens, 1 would have to revert to the original.  As for where we lived, no way would insulation board and render, it doesn't work on stone built Georgian buildings.  Apparently it's Grade II listed anyway. 

jaypo

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2022, 03:22:40 PM »

Ha! Yet again this country is a joke,imagine imposing a prison sentence  for THAT!?! Absolute nonsense,planners are so far up themselves it's  crazy,our neighbours also in a listed building,when they moved there,there were no floors,so,they put floors in,planners came and said their skirting boards were too big and would have to remove them!!!! Unbelievable,oops,sorry,wasn't going to get started but seems I have  ;D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 05:53:23 PM by jaypo »

sheila99

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2022, 05:40:20 PM »

Make a stupid law expect it to be broken. The prisons are overflowing with actual criminals, I can't imagine anyone being locked up for putting in double glazing.

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2022, 05:59:38 PM »

The fines can be huge though  :-\.  So: listed buildings deteriorate because people aren't prepared or don't have the energy to explore all the possibilities and hold ups.  Better to let if fall down, then clear the site and start again.  There's many a Cotswold barn crumbling ;-).  'ripe for renovation'.

sheila99

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2022, 09:21:04 PM »

It can work the other way round. We got PP for our barn conversion only because it was listed and it was the only way the building would be saved (ended up more of a rebuild as the roof & 2 walls fell in before we started.

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2022, 09:30:10 PM »

Looks lovely I bet - that was for the sheep ?  ;)

sheila99

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2022, 09:37:39 PM »

It had cows in it in back in the day when they were tied up in winter, hay loft above. They were going to make us replace the round window because it wasn't original - until they saw the photo from the 30s putting hay in it (how little do they know?) Apparently no one took took a picture when grandad got stuck in it  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2022, 09:46:15 PM »

;D. been in the family a while then?  Of course, these green-behind-the-ears jobs worths have No Idea  >:(.

Cows - tied in?  I know that people lived above their stock to make use of the warmth from the beasts that drifted upwards.  The warmth ............ a gentle sound of cudding and burping would probably soothe 1 to sleep?

sheila99

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2022, 10:56:34 PM »

Since the 20s. How green can you get? No need to burn fossil fuels to keep warm  :)
Pages: 1 [2]