Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hoping it’s menopause  (Read 1192 times)

JollyJoints

• First Flush
Hoping it’s menopause
« on: January 21, 2022, 09:44:11 AM »

Hello everyone- first post here, so- Hi!

I’ve just turned 47, very healthy whole life, no meds etc then had my first and only child at age 40 after a string of miscarriages. She’s perfect, and everything is brilliant in my home life.

The only reason I am here is that I optimistically slapped my first HRT patch ever on my right buttock yesterday. My GP is dubious about whether my symptoms are menopause, but I’m really hopeful they are!

I started a senior leadership role in the NHS literally the day the pandemic hit I should win a prize for worse timing ever, and after 18 months of the most hellish time I’ve ever had in nearly 30 years of care work I quit that role, and back to what I was doing before. I had work anxiety like you wouldn’t believe, no confidence, worried 24/7 about things going wrong etc. All very understandable considering. A year ago I tripped at work and broke my wrist, not a heavy fall, just a trip, but it’s left me with a limited range of movement, and some of the activities I did I can no longer do or are difficult to do. Around this time I started getting joint pains in hands and feet, very stiff, just initially in the mornings, but soon progressed to after any period of inactivity, takes about an hour to walk properly again. I had 2 random bouts of nodular episcleritis, 5 months apart, different eyes, joint pain in various joints that changed almost daily, blurred vision, tinnitus that is deafening, and crushing fatigue.

My GP has referred me to rheumatology, but I have no visible joint swelling/redness, so I’m not hopeful they’ll accept the referral.

I requested to try HRT as I’m almost undoubtedly peri menopausal at age 47, and it wouldn’t hurt to try. My GP is dubious as I have no hot flushes/night sweats/ vaginal dryness/mood swings etc or any of the more common menopausal symptoms. Im not depressed, but I do sometimes feel anxious and low self esteem without tangible reasons. Improved since changing roles, but still there. I have the nexplanon implant so have been period free for 6 years now, no cyclical patterns of breast tenderness, pms etc, so haven’t the foggiest if periods have changed.

I don’t really fit a mould properly, so here’s me hoping very much it’s menipause, as that is treatable and has an end date, and I happy to be here.

Thank you for reading! Would be nice to hear from anyone with similar experience  :)

Dotty

Re: Hoping it’s menopause
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 10:01:55 AM »

Hi welcome to the forum . You’ll find lots of help here.

All I can say is that I didn’t fit the menopause mould, but my symptoms were definitely menopause …. took a long time to discover it though ! One GP even said to me that “ menopause doesn’t happen like that”… well it did happen like that for me.

So yes …. give the hrt a good try . It might take a while and there might be ups and downs but persevere.

Can I ask which patches you have been given ?

Keep asking questions xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 10:15:45 AM »

Anyone over the age of 55 should seek a bone scan if they break a bone, because osteoporosis can be a killer.  That's a good start  ;D so  :welcomemm:  What does your GP think peri-menopause actually looks like? Many still live in a cave on which states 'without hot flushes, a woman is not in menopause'  >:(

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.  Anxiety surges are common, probably due to hormonal rises and falls.  As oestrogen levels drop off the body may become dry: inside and out; skin, scalp, deep in the ears, vagina, anus, nostrils ..... as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Oh and tinnitus.

Have you had a full blood count recently, to check thyroid function and VitD levels.  What a shame that your anxiety forced you from the job, sadly it happens to many at this time of life.  The Change - does what it says on the tin.  And some  >:(

Rheumatology is a good start and there is no reason why you shouldn't be offered an appt..  Let us know how you get on.  Browse round.  Make notes.  Ask anything, nowt is taboo - we have threads on most subjects, even menopause ;-).

JollyJoints

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 10:46:59 AM »

Hi both- thank you for the welcome!

I’m still ‘only’ 47 but I will ask the question re- bone scan. Sounds sensible to check. I started myself on vit D when it happened, then added in omega oils, magnesium and then ashwaghanda over the following months. Had bloods- fbc, autoimmune screen, lfts u&e’s all completely normal. Not had thyroid checked or vit D- I’ll add to my shopping list!

I’m on evorel conti, we discussed the ones where I switch and have a period, but seeing as I’ve never had one for 6 years with the implant, and how I’ve liked not having the ups and downs, we thought we’d start with the continuous version. I’m hoping to suddenly wake up 10 years younger, everything cured and a fat lottery win in the bank, but I’ll settle for less joint pain and to just feel a little more ‘me’ again!!! 😀

marge

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 12:31:06 PM »

Nothing much to add to the above replies, JollyJoints, but just to say that everybody's body is different and we all react in very different ways and not just with the menopause.  Look at all the different Covid symptoms you might or might not get. Hope you get things sorted soon.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 12:32:37 PM »

I'll help you spend the lottery win: I have Plans in my head for a bungalow with heated, covered swimming pool off the bedroom, how's that for starters ?

Let us know how you get on.