Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Muscle Twitching  (Read 18853 times)

Caz ann

• First Flush
Re: Muscle Twitching
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2022, 02:51:30 PM »

Hi . I just started to get muscle twitching. I though it was related to 2 cold sore i had and tingling stated in the nose now my bottom lip is twitching and both my calves. i have a blood test Thursday. i am 57 i do a lot of exersise and have not really had any menopause symptom. if this is a menopause symptom?

CathyCowey

• First Flush
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2023, 09:14:54 AM »

Hi, did you muscle twitching stop?..mine is insane..all over body...

Wrensong

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2023, 12:47:10 PM »

Hi CathyCowey  :welcomemm:
Sorry to hear you have them too.  They can be unnerving at first for sure.  15+ years on from onset & now long postmenopause I still have them every day, but they have not progressed to anything more serious.  As this is an old thread, if you don't get many responses, perhaps you'd like to start your own thread, tell us a little about yourself & ask any questions.
Good to have you with us, you will find lots of info & empathetic support on here.
Wx

katMB

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2023, 09:50:48 AM »

Could be just benign fasciculations (BFS).  I've had them at rest all over the body for many years, with hindsight from around the time perimenopause symptoms began.  Mine were diagnosed as BFS by a Neurologist, without progression to anything more serious.  Hopefully Neurology will be able to put your mind at rest, but I agree when they first start they are unnerving.  :hug:

They can be associated with imbalances of minerals such as magnesium & calcium & some deficiencies including Vit B12, so well worth ensuring your diet is healthy, which as you'll know is anyway a sensible step at this stage of life.  Caffeine can make them worse too.
Wx

Hi Wrensong, I have had weird muscle twitching since November last year. It is mainly in my calf muscles and feet (all the time when i am resting my muscles) and random pops or thumpers in my shoulders, arms, thighs - anywhere really! I was recently diagnosed with benign fasciculations by a neurologist myself after nerve and muscle tests. It is a very stressful time and I guess only time can help make the anxiety less. I am 45 years old and wonder if perimenopause may have triggered this for me. My anxiety (both general and health anxiety) has been very debilitating since around 2021 and I do wonder if it is all connected to peri.

Does the twitching get less severe over time or have you found that you are not as bothered anymore? I take magnesium, B complex, and a good probiotic which haven't really helped yet, and I have been told by neurologist to try tonic water and energy drinks. He also said I need to get a good night's sleep -which is impossible these days. I have three small children (the youngest is almost 3) and they wake me every night without fail!  ::)

Wrensong

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2023, 02:06:40 PM »

Hi katMB, yes I think you're probably right to put them down to onset of perimenopause.  There have been quite a few members post about them over the 6+ years I've been on the forum, so it does seem to be a common stage for them to start & naturally they are worrying to begin with.  Mine haven't reduced over time, but I don't worry about them now & accept that the Neurologist was probably right & that they are just due to BFS.  Like you, I was told to try to improve my sleep, but that's still an ongoing project.  Though well meant I know, I do find advice to get a good night's sleep frustrating as it's not something those of us who get too little usually have much choice over!   I think magnesium does reduce mine, but I can't tolerate even 50mg doses these days as it makes me unwell in other ways.  I hope you'll find yours improve in time, hopefully sooner rather than later.

katMB

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2023, 07:27:24 AM »

Thanks for your reply wrensong. Yes this is a very frustrating symptom, along with so many other symptoms that have appeared over the last couple of years. I just need to stop reassurance seeking as that is so addictive and causes more anxiety. I am certain my long term anxiety and depression has exacerbated my symptoms. 

My neurologist did say that BFS has two parts to it - the physical twitching, but equally as important is the psychological side of it. He kept emphasizing that mindfulness is so important in order to cope with this. He recommended meditation and CBT therapy if the anxiety didn't get any less. He also suggested mild physical activity such as walking and yoga. Maybe I should take some of this advice.

Tinacocc

• First Flush
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2024, 10:19:07 PM »

How are the twitches now? I’m assuming you weren’t diagnosed with MND and it was all hormone fluctuations?

Sunnygal

• First Flush
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2024, 04:48:43 AM »

Had this for years, along with muscle cramps in my feet- I couldn't put them in certain positions without horrible cramps, and then I started getting them in my abdomen just bending over, and nerve tingling and pain that moved all over my body, and a bunch of other symptoms.

For me it is something to do with either B-12, B9, iron, D or all of those. I had a doctor test my homocysteine level and it was high- so I wasn't absorbing either B12 or folate, even though my blood levels were fine. I take injections now and supplement methylfolate and a multivitamin. My ferritin was low, so I take iron, and my D was low. All of those vitamins work together. I had anemia although it didn't show up through regular bloodwork.

Now, I have no more tingling and nerve pain, no more muscle cramps, no more twitching! If it starts to come back, I haven't been taking my vitamins. I also had all of my other symptoms mostly resolve, which included blurry vision, poor night vision, seeing flashes at night, hair loss, dry ridged nails, yellowing and breaking nails, bluish nail beds, pale inner eyelid, yellowing and pale skin, insomnia, headaches, general queasiness and no appetite, joint pain, bone pain, skin burning, always freezing, exhaustion and some others. I thought I must have MS or be slowly dying.

I think estrogen hrt helps too, but the vitamins have made the biggest difference. I had everything checked and no idea why I don't absorb them well but since correcting things I feel a world of difference.

Could be something like that in your case too- usually muscle twitching like this is not caused by a degenerative disease, so try not to conclude the worst, and check on your vitamins and electrolytes.
Pages: 1 [2]