Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Lateral flow testing  (Read 5513 times)

Haydo

Re: Lateral flow testing
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2021, 08:16:14 PM »

I don’t think that it’s that she doesn’t want to visit.  We get on very well.  She is gluten free and had asked me to get specific bread to cater for her.  Normally I would tend to let the whole anti-vax thing and not being vaccinated wash over me, and as long as she had no symptoms that would be ok.   It is purely because of MIL, and in view of rising case rates in the area where we live I just think we should do all we can to make everything as risk free as possible.  We had already all agreed that there would be no hugging/kissing of MIL and everyone visiting would keep their distance from her, plus I will open windows periodically.   MIL has also asked that everyone should do a LTF, and she was really looking forward to seeing all the family together.  She is very upset and cannot understand why she won’t do a quick test,  just to keep her happy if nothing else. 

sheila99

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2021, 08:40:21 PM »

The majority Of people in hospital with covid ARE vaccinated.  Only 36% are not vaccinated.
I think this is a little misleading. The majority of people in hospital are old and the majority of old people have been vaccinated so you could reasonably expect this. I can't find the article now but they've also said the majority of people in intensive care with covid are unvaccinated (pretty sure it was over 60%).

Aprilflower

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2021, 11:30:15 PM »

Twitter thread on how difficult it is to do the test correctly.  By following the leaflet instructions, a false negative is more likely.

https://twitter.com/annavshelton/status/1475043925287124992?t=SdOpJt-QiUuhSL0kcc1tDg&s=19

Gynaikeíos

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2021, 05:27:51 AM »

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/infections-and-poisoning/coronavirus-covid-19/test-and-protect/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-do-a-lateral-flow-device-lfd-test-at-home

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/how-likely-positive-lateral-flow-test-covid-19-be-wrong

I do not understand why lovely people do not read instructions. It reads like the person on twitter who is not a medical practitioner is not really interested in reading the information. The nose test only kit works because the virus is found in the nose as well as the throat so nose only swab is just as good and not as uncomfortable to do.  :)

Simple  :)

Gynaikeíos

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2021, 05:39:43 AM »

The majority Of people in hospital with covid ARE vaccinated.  Only 36% are not vaccinated.
I think this is a little misleading. The majority of people in hospital are old and the majority of old people have been vaccinated so you could reasonably expect this. I can't find the article now but they've also said the majority of people in intensive care with covid are unvaccinated (pretty sure it was over 60%).

This is a checked report. If look at the most seriously ill these are more likely to be unvaccinated... https://fullfact.org/health/dr-hilary-lorraine-kelly-90-percent/

Omicron will be making a different situation plus vaccinated people in ICU more often than not have compromised immunity. It is more complicated than doing a few lateral flows   ;) ;D

QueenofReds3

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2021, 08:05:10 AM »

I have to test twice a week for work. I have no problem doing this, also have a anti vaccine in family, tried to persuade to no avail. I have seen what long COVID can do and if I can protect myself and others by doing these tests then I will carry on for as long as we have to.

Aprilflower

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2021, 08:05:50 AM »

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/infections-and-poisoning/coronavirus-covid-19/test-and-protect/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-do-a-lateral-flow-device-lfd-test-at-home

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/how-likely-positive-lateral-flow-test-covid-19-be-wrong

I do not understand why lovely people do not read instructions. It reads like the person on twitter who is not a medical practitioner is not really interested in reading the information. The nose test only kit works because the virus is found in the nose as well as the throat so nose only swab is just as good and not as uncomfortable to do.  :)

I think you miss read the post, that's the opposite of what was said.  They are saying nose only is not enough but throat as well should be done.  This is contrary to the instructions on the newer tests. 

Nose only gave a negative, nose and throat a positive.  The positive was confirmed by a PCR.

Haydo

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2021, 09:58:39 AM »

I think the issue is that it is not necessarily if the LFT is 100% reliable or not, it’s that MIL will feel reassured if everyone takes one.  Obviously no-one will attend if they feel even slightly unwell.   She had no Christmas last year and at her age how many more does she have to look forward to?  There isn’t the opportunity to all get together very frequently.  The last time was outside in the Summer when we had a family bbq.  She just doesn’t understand why DIL won’t take one and neither do I. She is getting more and more upset and I am trying to put a face on things for her benefit,  but I feel pretty upset myself.   What should be something nice to look forward to on New Years Day is turning into a whole needless problem, as the rest of the family are angry about it and are venting at me too! 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2021, 10:07:23 AM »

Have you told DiL how upset Mum is feeling? 

Most people in hospital with C-19 are unvaccinated - Prof Whitty has said so recently as have other medics giving reports. 

Also, must bugs live in the nose - some at the back which is why throat testing, has in this pandemic, been recommended.  It really does depend on which bug is being tested.

Hopefully a quiet word with DiL Haydo ?  do let us know what she decides.  What shouldn't happen of course is for her to tell everyone that she has done a test when in reality  :-\

Haydo

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2021, 10:14:20 AM »

Yes my son has told her, and my son would make sure she didn’t lie about taking a test.  At present he is saying he’ll come on his own.  It’s causing arguments between them.  A ripple effect, and sadly it’s going to impact on the gathering whatever she decides in the end.  I wish I’d never suggested it. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2021, 10:44:58 AM »

Of course you do, however - you are not responsible for her reaction to your suggestion.  She is responsible!  You put the idea out there .......... of course, it's a free country, democratic country and she should accept that in this instance, she is out voted.

Would your Mum speak to her?  MayB suggest a 'phone call during the afternoon from DiL to Mum?  It might be worth asking that, should DinL have a stomach bug or heavy cold would she visit?  Might help to veer away from the 'not vaccinated' topic?

Sadly families do have knock on effects ........... sometimes not in a positive way.  xx

Aprilflower

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2021, 11:38:43 AM »

Sounds sensible to me Minusminne.

Gynaikeíos

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2021, 01:24:48 PM »

I think you miss read the post, that's the opposite of what was said.  They are saying nose only is not enough but throat as well should be done.  This is contrary to the instructions on the newer tests. 

Nose only gave a negative, nose and throat a positive.  The positive was confirmed by a PCR.

Ah! I think I misread like you say  :) But if it is thought about the lady could have had a negative flow test but then become infectious afterwards which is why she had a positive PCR?
Covid virus is tricky.

Haydo

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2021, 03:12:04 PM »

Yes Minusminnie you’re right.  I have spoken with MIL and said that the important thing is that my son is still coming, and although it would be lovely if DIL could come too she must be allowed to make her own mind up.  I have spoken to the rest of the family and asked them to drop it and not to make a big deal of it for my sake, my son’s sake and MIL’s sake.  The main thing is to concentrate on making it an enjoyable day for MIL.  Hopefully that is an end to it.  Thanks everyone. 

Postmeno3

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2021, 03:25:31 PM »

Wise, very wise!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4