Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Post Menopause- how do we know?  (Read 3912 times)

VictoryV

Post Menopause- how do we know?
« on: December 05, 2021, 12:22:07 PM »

Hi,
If we start on HRT during Peri how do we know when we’re Post? Do we stop have bleeds on sequi and when not bled for a year we’re post meno?
My GP said I’ve got to have no bleeds for 2 years before being PM but I think she’s mistaken.
I understand that having estrogen tested is more reliable in p.m due to fluctuations stopping. I’d like to get a blood test to check if my levels are high enough to protect bones, is there a way of getting a reliable test even though I’ve no idea where I am in this meno journey?

Thanks.
Victoria.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Post Menopause- how do we know?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 12:46:53 PM »

If 1 isn't taking HRT (other than for VA treatment) it is usually 12 months without a period.  'menopause' means end of menses.  However, until we've been bleed free for 12+ months, we really can't tell.  For those relying on contraception, it's 2 years without.

If HRT is being used, the way to be sure is to stop it.  However, is it worth all the hassle as well as possible return of symptoms to find out?

Blood tests are reliably unreliable.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 01:38:44 PM »

Meno is defined as 1 year without a bleed. It isn't foolproof though as some women do go longer than a year and then have a genuine period (or more than 1). If you're taking hormones though you can't tell. Most women are meno by 54 but some are in their early 60s so age isn't much help either. Most women continue to bleed with a sequi regime even when they're meno. I'm not sure not bleeding is conclusive as it may be due to other factors. Do you get any symptoms at all from your own body not related to the hrt cycle? Perhaps blood tests from different times in your cycle would help though not necessarily definitive if you happen to have picked an anovulaty cycle.

KarineT

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 03:34:51 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I've never been on HRT and this has allowed me to establish when I would be postmeno.  As I was scared of being stuck in the peri stage forever and ever, i.e. the symptoms would never end,  I did an AMH (Anti-Mullerian) test in February 2020.  This does not test the oestrogen but it looks at your ovarian reserve. This test was very accurate as the result showed I was postmeno.  Hence, I my last period was in January 2020.

As for testing the oestrogen level, I believe it's more reliable in postmeno because oestrogens don't fluctuate as much, if at all.  I've done one at the beginning of the year and I will do another one in January.  When I tested last time, it was 586pmol.  I expect this level to have gone down ever further.

If you take HRT you would need to stop to see where you're at.  HRT masks what your natural hormones are doing so you can't tell if if you've reached the menopause.

Karine

VictoryV

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 04:29:42 AM »

Thanks for all the info ladies. I think I’ll cope with the curiosity and continue the HRT!
Sheila, I’ve never had any cycle symptoms, not a twinge, ache, bad mood, nothing. I’ve been lucky. It fascinates me that many of you are so in tune with your body. I didn’t realise I’d missed approx. 4 periods until I woke up with hot flushes, anxiety, foggy brain etc. I thought I had Covid or Alzheimer’s  before the penny dropped 🙄

KarineT thanks for the AMH info. I’m going to look into it. It was certainly very accurate for you!

CLKD, not worth risking the symptoms returning and with no guarantee the same HRT would work again.

I’m looking at weight training but hate the gym!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 09:28:46 AM »

Brisk walking .......... free to view ;-)

Postmeno3

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 09:52:30 AM »

I don't think it would do any harm to have blood tests even if on HRT as they'll still indicate levels and, more importantly, absorption? Can't and wouldn't advise on type of exercise you need, but I agree on gyms....especially just now. What are you drawn to? I sometimes think what we're drawn to can be more beneficial as there's motivation? Good luck! 👍

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 10:00:58 AM »

Who needs gyms? I can lend you a fork and a wheelbarrow, bring your wellies...  ;D
 🐑🐑💩

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 10:11:56 AM »

Hello ladies.

Victoria V - You are not alone with all this taking you by surprise. Louise Newson has said that she was having lots of problems before she realised that she hadn't had a period for five months. When my night sweats started I assumed we had left the heat on overnight and it took a few other symptoms before I even considered the menopause.

I was post meno before starting HRT so I don't have any useful experience I'm afraid. I wonder if a meno clinic would be able to advise you as they must see many women who have the same question.

Take care.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 12:54:21 PM »

...... and when you've done helping sheila  :whist:  gyms can be costly if 1 doesn't like what 1 signs up for.  Also, with Covid, masks etc., I don't think it's worth the risk this side of Easter ;-).  If you are in an area with good countryside and scenery, walking : but not today  >:( : can be relaxing.  What do U fancy VictoriaV? 

Skipping; hoooolla hooping ; dancing round the kitchen, singing ...... all exercise.  Also not many of us breath deeply enough which is where singing and whistling help. 

I hadn't realise that my periods had stopped completely for months: at the time I was caring for 4 sick animals and working so was pleased when I missed bleeding.