Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Be Bright at Night  (Read 1420 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Be Bright at Night
« on: November 19, 2021, 07:10:17 PM »

Wear bright colours after dark.  Please  :-\ ...... we followed two small motor bikes this evening.  Two different incidences; as they were following the vehicles because they were lined up behind the rear lights, they blended so were riding unseen to traffic.  Had they been wearing: yellow/white/striped flack jackets : they would have been more visible.

These jackets are a legal requirement in mainland Europe, not in the boot of the vehicle but in the easy reach of passengers and drivers.   Can be bought from Halfords.  I need to buy another set for the car, as ours are in the camper.  Last night we had an incident whilst driving in the dark so could have done with them.

I remember 'wear white at night' as well as 'clunk click, every trip'.  Regardless ....... these slogans are as relevant now as they were in the 1970s. 

Please tell everyone you meet to be bright at night.

C.C.

Re: Be Bright at Night
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 02:08:29 PM »

Excellent point!  I worked in a running store and was a running coach for 10 years part-time and during the fall and winter months I always asked the customers what they were wearing for visibility in the dark.  If they didn't own anything reflective, like a vest, or lighted arm bands, head lamps, etc. I told them about being visible to others was the most important consideration when running in the dark.  It boggled my mind how many said they would wear black and nothing reflective! Most decent running shoes will have some kind of reflective badge and logo but not nearly enough for a driver to see.  Same goes for cyclists on their way to work or school in the morning!

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 02:40:23 PM »

They can see where they are going, but forget that they are un-sighted to other road users.

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 09:28:56 PM »

Fluorescent jackets, stripes band etc, whether you are a pedestrian, cyclist or motorcyclist are effective. ( DH once a traffic policeman wouldn’t dream of going out on his cycle or motorcycle without his fluorescent jacket day and night.) We do not have street lamps in our village, plus few pavements, so a torch is essential at night. Flashing rear lights on cycles work well. The one and only time I ever grounded my kids was when they went out on their bikes at dusk in dark clothes and no lights and no helmets. Grounded for a whole week. They were so shocked! Got my point across, along with calm talking (later!) about the danger they put themselves in. Never had a problem again.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 09:23:47 AM »

Hopefully they have remembered and passed down the message.

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 10:45:54 AM »

It's not just at night when visibility is a problem it can be an issue during the day as well.
People out walking clad in dark garments, are pretty much invisible when they are on a narrow lane close by a hedge.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 10:47:04 AM »

Also: most Gor-tex type waterproof clothing rattles when walking  :o so if the hood is up, pulled tight, it is near impossible to hear what is approaching from behind.  As for those wearing head-phones etc.  >:(