Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Does testosterone reduce anxiety?  (Read 1489 times)

Forest378

• First Flush
Does testosterone reduce anxiety?
« on: May 04, 2022, 11:08:37 AM »

I’m 49 and after a dreadful few months, I started on HRT five weeks ago (1mg Sandrena gel and Utrogestan tablets), but I’m still struggling on and off with anxiety, cramps (leg, hip and abdomen) and feeling pretty odd generally. I had some blood tests at the doctors and all was fine, and I am amazed that hormones or lack of them can make you feel so awful. 

I know I need to be patient (which is hard!), and I need to wait for three months before the GP will review things, but I am wondering about testosterone….. I spoke with a nurse last week who said that it was only useful for reduced libido. A friend of mine said that her anxiety only really went after she was prescribed testosterone by a private clinic, and I am wondering whether the NHS prescribes it in the UK - or do you need to go private?

The clinics near me are all booked up for many months and I wondered if anyone had tried the BUPA menopause plan? I’d like to stick with the GP if possible, but it’s impossible to get an appointment and I would really like more support than a rushed five minute phone call!

Grumpymum

Re: Does testosterone reduce anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 11:38:34 AM »

Having just watched Davina McCall programme on C4 where she touched on testosterone I would be very interested to hear replies to this too and whether you can get it on the NHS.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 01:51:13 PM »

My anxiety was from low oestrogen and it took 3 months on HRT to go, nothing for the first month then very up and down for the next 2. You need to wait for the 3 months and see how you feel then. You can as for a referral to an NHS meno clinic to get testosterone but expect a long wait. The nhs will only prescribe it for low libido (mine was zero). For me it has improved low mood and motivation as well as muscle tone and libido, I was pulling muscles frequently for no reason. I'm not aware it's known for helping anxiety.

Forest378

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 03:07:58 PM »

Hi Sheila99, thank you for replying - this is very helpful.

I am trying very hard to be patient and can see that I need to wait to see where I am after three months, and even then I wonder if it might take a while if they need to tweak the dose of the Sandrena gel (I think 1mg a day is quite low?). Are you using the pump?

It's interesting that the NHS will prescribe testosterone for low libido though....I am guessing that was only through the meno clinic, or was that through your GP? I can only imagine how long the NHS clinic waiting lists are!

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 05:19:02 PM »

I'm not entirely certain but I think 1mg sandrena is equivalent to 2 pumps gel or 50 patch? In which case it is the usual starting dose in peri, it's the dose I started on and was right for me at the time. GPs will rarely prescribe testosterone, because there isn't a product licensed for women the gp is personally responsible if it goes wrong. So you can't really blame them. I got it through an NHS meno clinic but the wait 4 years ago was 6 months, I suspect it's longer now.

Forest378

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 08:58:14 AM »

Thanks, this is really helpful. It's reassuring to read about other women's experiences - I've been lucky in that I've barely had to think about my health up until now and this has really hit me like a truck!

I'm sure it would be a longer wait for the NHS menopause clinic now, and the GP would probably want to try tweaking doses and products before a referral (which is understandable).