Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Health anxiety and the seasons  (Read 1646 times)

Dougalina

Health anxiety and the seasons
« on: October 31, 2021, 06:14:15 PM »

Hi

I suffer with really bad health anxiety, and have done for some years.  However, looking back, it seems like there is a pattern.  During the summer months it goes into remission, but as autumn moves towards winter it hits me again like a tsunami.

The last few weeks have been really challenging, I’ve been struggling with thoughts that I am about to have a heart episode, and drop down dead. Then today I have been having a sharp, shooting pain in my right groin, which is also going into the front of the top of my thigh. Of course my mind tells me that it’s probably a blood clot!

I am on hrt which helps, but I am won’t take anti anxiety drugs, as they frighten me even more .

Anyway, is there anyone out there that can relate to the seasonal health anxiety?

Thanks for reading

D.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Health anxiety and the seasons
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 07:15:35 PM »

SAD is recognised.

What worries U about anti-anxiety drugs?  Without mine I wouldn't be here  :-\.

Dougalina

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 08:01:44 PM »

Hi

Thank you for replying.  Yes, I am aware of SAD, but I just wondered if anyone has had SAD triggering their health anxiety?

I know it’s  complex.

I have a video appointment with my mental health dr next week, so I’ll see what he thinks too

D.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 08:47:26 PM »

Might be worth checking vit D levels? And trying one of those lamps you can get for SADS. Don't know if there's a connection with vit D to anxiety but if you don't supplement levels will fall in autumn. I tend to agree with CLKD, if you can rule out the others it might be worth trying medication to see if it works.

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 09:07:19 PM »

Im not a winter person either, i felt a twinge of gloom today as the clocks went back and the dark nights close in. Some people love the winter and go on about cosy nights wrapped up in front of the fire, i just want to hibernate until Springtime.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 09:18:38 AM »

Me too.  I love the Autumnal colours but not the lead up to C.mas! 

I read an article since this thread opened which advised VitD supplement as well as 10 mins sunshine morning/evening.  Sitting by a window, looking outside and taking note of 1 thing: plant, bird, blue sky.  All helps to lift the mood. Apparently.

When I suffered with depression I didn't know what day it was  :-\.

SAD can trigger health anxiety.  Physicality can be difficult to deal with even if we know what causes it.  Do U have green spaces Dougalina?

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 05:34:27 PM »

I can so relate Dougalina…….I too suffer with health anxiety which has been particularly bad of late…..so just sending you a 🤗 xx

Dougalina

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2021, 06:28:28 PM »

Thanks for the replies

Mrs Bennet, I am so sorry to hear you are suffering too at the moment, I would  not wish it on anyone.

I have thought about a light box, but they can be very expensive, and not sure if it would work?  I try to get out for short jog at lunchtimes, and I sit by the french doors at my desk, which overlooks the garden.  I have a better now vit D spray, but  dont always remember to use it.

I did have a videoo call with my MH Dr, and that really helped.  He used to be a GP, and reassured me that the chest pain was indigestion.  He said, if the aread of pain can be covered by a finger, it wont be your heart, that would be more like a flat hand area of the chest radiating out.  He also said that indigestion can be spasms, which is exactly what mine felt like.  He also said my arm pain sounded like a neck problem, which is what my physio also says.  And it hurts more when I move in a certain way.  He made me promise to do the CBT again. 

Anyway, thanks again all

D

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 06:30:45 PM »

So listen to the advice ;-).  Relaxation is so hard when anxiety hits  :'(

I work on the premise that the symptoms have killed me, i.e. indigestion.  So it won't .........