Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: HRT and lower tolerance POST MENOPAUSE  (Read 12216 times)

Mary G

Re: HRT and lower tolerance post menopause
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2021, 07:58:04 PM »

Jaylow and laszla, that's why it's good that we have this new, dedicated section of the forum because the menopause is an evolving situation and women need to be aware that things change once again in the post menopause phase - thank you Postmeno3.

Years ago when I was happily slapping on copious amounts of Oestrogel, I unaware that my body was changing in the background and that my HRT needs would change over time.   By sharing our experiences on here, at least younger women will be able to recognise those changes (and sometimes quite scary changes) and adjust their HRT regimes accordingly.   

If it's any consolation, I think the post menopause phase is easier to manage because you no longer have to counter those dreadful hormone fluctuations with high doses of oestrogen.  I'm now 60 and liking the low dose, continuous combined, maintenance regime.  It's good to feel the same all the time and I hope I don't have to go to an even lower dose but I will if I need to.   I think we must always be prepared to make adjustments to the dose and open to the idea of trying new products when they become available.

I'm so pleased I had that consultation but surprised that a gastroenterologist was so helpful on the subject of hormones!

Kathleen

Re: HRT and lower tolerance post menopause
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2021, 10:28:21 AM »

Hello ladies.

I find this a very interesting topic because I have received conflicting advice from health professionals.
I am experiencing mood swings with frequent episodes of low mood and anxiety and my meno doctor
 wants me to increase my Oestrogen.  However I was told by an NHS Consultant  that for many women less is more and he advised me to slowly reduce the amount of gel I use. He mentioned that some of his patients use a low dose on alternate days and are doing well.
Obviously this is very confusing, do I need more or less Oestrogen?

I am currently following the advice of the meno clinic but I often wonder if I am doing the right thing.

Wishing you all well ladies.

K.

Mary G

Re: HRT and lower tolerance POST MENOPAUSE
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2021, 12:25:35 PM »

Kathleen, what type/dose HRT are you on now?   Have you had any hormone blood tests recently?  If I remember rightly, you stopped HRT altogether at one point?

Did the NHS consultant tell you what they meant by a low dose every other day?  The success of a low dose regime would depend on how old you are, how many years post menopause and whether or not you are drowning out the oestrogen benefits with too much progesterone.

laszla

Re: HRT and lower tolerance POST MENOPAUSE
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2021, 02:14:09 PM »

Kathleen, I would get a blood test asap to see your level of estradiol as well as the SHBG I mention in my previous post (which gives an idea of how well you absorb the hormone rather than measuring the hormone itself). Also measure your testosterone.
I only wish I'd had these tests years sooner - I've been on HRT for three years and only just learnt via said blood test that I have the estradiol level of someone who's never been within 50 feet of an estrogen supplement.
It will give you a more tangible starting point which you can use alongside your symptoms.
All the best
Pages: 1 2 [3]