Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Never ending symptoms!  (Read 1799 times)

DeeMarie

Never ending symptoms!
« on: October 02, 2021, 07:22:19 PM »

I’ve mentioned this on the forums before but back in July I was diagnosed with a 4cm HH. My symptoms were and still are nausea, occasional retching, abdominal pain, loss of appetite. I had an ultrasound a week ago and that’s come back clear. After speaking to the gp she’s put me on domperidone for the nausea and continue with peptac and also wants me retested for h pylori before going back on ppi’s. Think this time she’s going to try me on lansoprazole. Anyone else on this ppi or domperidone? What I would do for a ‘normal’ day  :-\

JoannFran

Re: Never ending symptoms!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 02:43:31 PM »

Hi there. I also have a hiatus hernia. Was diagnosed last year after having a horrible time with symptoms.
Do you take a probiotic? They have helped me immensely. I also try not to eat a big meal just little and often. Gaviscon also really helps me. I was on lansoprazole for a while and they do help but they also gave me loose stools. I do take one every now and then if it’s particularly bad. I’ve also worked out what my trigger foods are (tomato’s, onions, chocolate, white bread and pastries). I think for me that the anxiety of not knowing what it was made it all worse and once I’d had the camera down and diagnosed It was more manageable. If I’m feeling anxious now the first thing to play up is my stomach. I think they call it the second brain.
Also I do intermittent fasting. Not for everyone but definitely helps me.
Hope you feel better soon x

DeeMarie

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 05:21:38 PM »

Thanks for replying. What symptoms did you have? No I don’t take a probiotic, what would you recommend? I’m eating smaller meals too but just now it’s like a ‘flare up’ so off my food a little just been having soup, crackers anything bland if I can manage. I was the same became so anxious not knowing what was wrong with me and all sorts were going through my mind. It is a relief knowing that this is the cause but when my stomach plays up the anxiety sets in, it’s a viscous circle. Didn’t realise a hiatus hernia could cause so much discomfort. Thanks…..hope I do too! X

JoannFran

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 07:22:44 AM »

Hi. There’s lots of probiotics on the market, I take one by nutrizing from Amazon. It’s got 50 billion bacteria in it.
I was getting stabbing pains in my stomach, cramping, aching, nausea, acid, bloating, burping and feeling full after a couple of bites of food. I also get shoulder and jaw pain when it’s particularly bad.
I know, I was amazed that a small hernia could cause so many problems too. Thought it was something really bad x

JoannFran

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 12:49:25 PM »

Also, have you tried 'smiling' into your stomach?  It's a bit hippy but it's a chinese breathing technique.  You do deep breaths in and when you exhale you send a smile into your stomach.  it definitely helps me with the knotted anxious feeling  :)

DeeMarie

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 01:31:43 PM »

Thanks so much for the advice! Will have a look on Amazon and certainly try ‘smiling’ 😊 The cramping/pain, nausea, reflux are the worst for me, especially first thing in the morning. It would be great to wake up one morning and feel ‘normal’ again! X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 01:32:20 PM »

Hiatus hernia is common in menopause due to loss of oestrogen causing laxity of muscles.  H.pylori is usually treated by a long course of Antibiotics.

DeeMarie

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 02:00:47 PM »

Hi CLKD,
They want to rule it out before I try a new ppi. I’ve had it before 11 years ago and the triple therapy was horrendous! I did feel so much better after it though and have been told it can reoccur  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 03:55:10 PM »

I didn't think that H.pylori would recur after ABs  :-\.  What causes it exactly?

DeeMarie

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2021, 05:27:31 PM »

I didn’t think it could either but apparently it can according to the doctor. Not exactly sure what causes it  :-\ The symptoms I have are like what I had 11 years ago hence why I mentioned it to the gp yet again. If it’s not that then it’s definitely the hiatus hernia playing up  :(

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2021, 06:01:19 PM »

I've been browsing, like U do.  It is apparently quite contagious and 1 can be re-infected.  The whole family should be treated according to NHS info..   ::)

DeeMarie

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 07:32:09 PM »

A lot of people have it without realising, it’s only when they get symptoms. I had it for months and doctors kept telling me to try antacids. It wasn’t until I spoke to a friend she said I should ask to be tested….voila!