Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Citalopram experiences  (Read 4703 times)

2cats

Citalopram experiences
« on: September 30, 2021, 10:09:20 AM »

Hi,
I’m in week 4 of taking 10mg of citalopram a day and it has had no effect on my mood, crying or depression yet. What is getting worse are the physical symptoms: neck pain, woolly head, daily headache, terrible nausea, wind and now tiredness too!
I’d be so interested to hear other women’s experiences with this drug as I’m struggling to see the point of continuing to take it.
Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Citalopram experiences
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 04:04:02 PM »

Early days.  If I were U I would continue for at least 4-6 months.  The symptoms which you describe are often caused by low oestrogen levels.  As levels drop so muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Do U keep a mood/symptom/diary, I may have asked already  :-\ - to chart progress?

Have U had your bloods tested recently, tiredness can be due to low VitD levels or thyroid function issues.  How is your posture overall, i.e. check your pillow, footwear and seating positions.  All can impact on our spine from top to bottom.

Justjules

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 08:36:02 PM »

Hi 2cats. 10mg is the lowest dose but a good starting point. 4 weeks is still early days though. 20mg is the effective dose and your GP will probably suggest upping to that and then you will definitely see results. I’ve been on and off Citalopram for years with no problem but after restarting earlier this year I had quite a few side effects which were unexpected but persevered but it took at least 8 weeks this time to really kick in. You could try upping to 20mg now as GPs usually recommend this after the first two weeks if they didn’t originally start you at that dose. I’m sure they’ll kick in soon. My GP actually gave me some diazepam to counteract the side effects which helped but not all will. Hope you feel better soon.

Suzysheep

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 09:09:39 PM »

Hi cats,
I have been on and off citalopram for years. I’m back on it again now. It’s been 6 weeks, but I’ve made very little progress.
I think justjules is right.. 20mg is probably the best dose.

I have also been given diazepam, but am a bit scared to start taking it regularly.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 09:00:18 AM »

Suzysheep - it isn't for regular use.  It's to ease anxiety when it's overwhelming.  Is there a specific time that you would require 'valium'?

As for ADs, I've found that when I return to 1 after a break it fails to work.   

Suzysheep

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 09:17:20 AM »

Suzysheep - it isn't for regular use.  It's to ease anxiety when it's overwhelming.  Is there a specific time that you would require 'valium'?

As for ADs, I've found that when I return to 1 after a break it fails to work.

I am not taking it regularly… but my morning anxiety has become unbearable. I’m totally overwhelmed with it, and vomiting.
I took a diazepam this morning but vomited it up 20 minutes later. X

CherrySG

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 09:57:02 AM »

Hi 2cats. I have been on and off citalopram for about 10 years, off now as it finally stopped working for me.

I found it made me not care about anything, which was both a blessing and a curse. It did get me through some very stressful times though and show me a different mindset.

To offer a differing opinion to those already posted, I think the recommended doses are higher than they need to be.

For example 5mg is apparently 80% blood plasma occupancy. The most I was ever able to take was 15 mgs and stay awake and function. And although they do drag you to hell at first, if there's no improvement after 6 weeks I would go back to the doctors for something else. I did know someone on 40 mg which kind of blew my mind!

Citalopram did nothing for my son. He had to try a few and has been happily settled on venlafaxine for a couple of years now.

Point being, we are all different and what works for one will not necessarily do for another. I would have thought you could expect a least a few good hours or some improvement after 4 weeks.

Hope it works soon, but don't wait too long before asking for something else if need be. Good luck and hang in there🤞

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 11:15:53 AM »

MayB Suzysheep - take the 'valium' as you go to bed.  That will ease anxiety surges, it worked 4 me.  Knowing that I could take another 5mg the next day - however, I never required it.  I hate that dry retching  :-\ due to anxiety and fear. 

Suzysheep

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 01:24:31 PM »

MayB Suzysheep - take the 'valium' as you go to bed.  That will ease anxiety surges, it worked 4 me.  Knowing that I could take another 5mg the next day - however, I never required it.  I hate that dry retching  :-\ due to anxiety and fear.

Will it stay in my system long enough to help the morning?
I’m only taking 2mg. X

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 02:25:53 PM »

If it helps you to sleep that's the 1st issue: followed by taking 2mg at breakfast to ease those early surges.  How many did the GP prescribe and do U have a follow up appt.?

Suzysheep

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2021, 03:11:02 PM »

Different gps keep prescribing it, even though I said I didn’t want it. I’ve got loads… I’ve only used 10 in the last 6/7 weeks.
I’ve got an appointment with my actual dr Wednesday.
When I ring the surgery I never get to speak to my dr, it’s always the duty dr, so absolutely no consistency. Sigh.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2021, 04:52:08 PM »

That's the trouble with not being in touch with the same GP.

2mg is very low so taking 1 B4 bed and if necessary 1 at breakfast should be fine.  If it helps? 

Suzysheep

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2021, 05:25:27 PM »

I’ll give it a try tonight and let you know x

2cats

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2021, 09:44:12 AM »

Thanks everyone. CLKD - I’m on 75mcg oestrodot and utrogestan (which is not agreeing with me). I’ve been on hrt for about 10 years but I’ve definitely felt like the effect is wearing off. Hence upped to 75 from 50.  I resisted anti depressants for months but the crying and anxiety were getting worse. My husband and I are also living apart for last 5 weeks after 31 years together but this has not helped my mood though I thought this was going to be the answer. Just feel very lost and alone.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2021, 10:41:29 AM »

Oh 2cats - that won't help anyway!  It's a dreadful upheaval.

Utrogestan etc. often don't agree with women.  R U due to an overall of your regime?

Suzysheep? 
Pages: [1] 2