Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hiatal hernia query  (Read 1373 times)

Patsie

Hiatal hernia query
« on: February 24, 2022, 12:52:37 PM »

Hi,

I was told I had a hiatal hernia 4 years ago and then that was it.  I had been given PPI’s before the diagnosis and was told to take as and when needed.  Move on 4 years and have very sensitive teeth/gums and a sore tongue.  GP said it was probably a side effect of the PPI’s but I do not take them on a regular basis.  Have not been on them for over 6 weeks and still have a sore tongue - could this be the acid reflux that is causing it or could it all be connected to being post menopause?  I have tried the GP but he just dismisses it.  Fed up with a sore mouth all the time!

Flossieteacake

Re: Hiatal hernia query
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 02:22:18 PM »

Hello Patsie. I have a hital hernia and I have to take a PPI every single day or I get terrible acid reflux. I have not heard of PPI's causing sensitive teeth or gums but I know acid reflux can cause that due to the burning. Menopause can give a horrid burning tongue feeling. I get that a lot. It is very uncomfortable. It is sad your GP is so dismissive. They should be taking your concerns seriously.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 02:31:59 PM »

I too have a hiatus hernia which is treated by 20mg of Omeprazole every day. I didn't have a sore tongue but a burning throat caused by ulceration because of the reflux. As Flossieteacake says there is a condition which causes a sore and burning tongue. It's called Burning Mouth Syndrome and is common in menopause. The first thing you should do is arrange a check up with your dentist if you've not been lately. Info here https://www.leedsth.nhs.uk/a-z-of-services/oral-and-maxillofacial-surgery/your-condition-and-treatment/burning-mouth-syndrome/

Taz x

Patsie

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 03:00:52 PM »

Taz2 - just had a quick read and I do find my tongue is worse when I am stressed so will look more into the burning mouth syndrome. 

Flossieteacake - I’m going to start taking the PPI daily and will see if there is a change

Thanks to you both for your help

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 03:50:50 PM »

Taz2 - just had a quick read and I do find my tongue is worse when I am stressed so will look more into the burning mouth syndrome. 

Flossieteacake - I’m going to start taking the PPI daily and will see if there is a change

Thanks to you both for your help

I hope that helps.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 03:59:17 PM »

Hiatus hernia is common at 'our age' due to laxity of muscles which can cause aches and pains as well as oesophageal problems.

Let us know how you get on.