Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Saying hi  (Read 1445 times)

KellyS

• First Flush
Saying hi
« on: November 20, 2021, 02:58:03 PM »

Hello everyone, I’ve arrived here at the age of 62, because I’ve just realised that my itchy dry shins, super dry hair, and urgent need to pee and second bout of cystitis must actually be hormone related.
I’m apprehensive about the prescriptions for vaginal pessaries because my mother has glaucoma, so I think that is a risk factor, afaik.
So I’m busily looking into how to improve my chances of holding off VA and boosting hormonal health with diet and supplements. I guess there is a journey ahead of trial, and I hope not too much error…  ???
Nervous and feeling old.  :-\

Flossieteacake

Re: Saying hi
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 03:37:06 PM »

Hello everyone, I’ve arrived here at the age of 62, because I’ve just realised that my itchy dry shins, super dry hair, and urgent need to pee and second bout of cystitis must actually be hormone related.
I’m apprehensive about the prescriptions for vaginal pessaries because my mother has glaucoma, so I think that is a risk factor, afaik.
So I’m busily looking into how to improve my chances of holding off VA and boosting hormonal health with diet and supplements. I guess there is a journey ahead of trial, and I hope not too much error…  ???
Nervous and feeling old.  :-\

Hello KellyS. Maybe you could talk to your GP about options? I use ovestin cream for vaginal atrophy along with Yes VM moisturiser. You are not old at all. :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 04:12:53 PM »

There are no options to stopping the loss of oestrogen which contributes to atrophy.  Do read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads which I bumped last week.  Appropriate VA treatment is essential.  Why would treatment affect the eyes or increase glaucoma?

In the mean time have a look at the 'sylc' and 'yes' websites.  Some ladies find that using VA treatment internally as well as moisturisers on the outer labial areas really helpful.  When I get the need2P feelings, I take 2 'nurofen' capsules 3 times a day which eases the spincter as it shuts off the urine flow.

Let us know how you get on. 

As oestrogen levels drop off the body may become dry: inside and out.  Skin, vagina, hair, deep in the ears, eyes ............

Gracie

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 04:50:13 PM »

I am 10 years older than you and if you are on the road to developing Virginal Atrophy please don't delay in getting the right treatment. My mother had Glaucoma and if you have your eye's tested regularly and found to have inherited glaucoma at least it can be treated.

Virginal Atrophy is a chronic condition that is with you for the rest of your life. I am three months into using Vagifem pessaries, one a day and still waiting for them to take full effect.

I have never found natural remedies to be of any help, I stupidly told the doctor no when she suggested estrogen to me when being examined for what I thought was a prolapse. I had got to the stage where I couldn't sit down it was too painful, I said I would try the moisturisors first, big mistake I was soon on the phone for a prescription.

CLKD is right, read the posts on here they are invaluable and very educational on the treatments for VA. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 04:53:10 PM by Gracie »

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 05:32:12 PM »

Better to begin sooner rather than later.  Once symptoms ease, treatment can B as little as twice a week. 

KellyS

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 01:51:17 PM »

Thankyou very much for your kind and informative responses. I really do appreciate it!

I will call and make an appointment straight away, before the situation accelerates.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 02:39:23 PM »

Let us know how you get on?

KellyS

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 07:55:56 PM »

Yes, I definitely will.  :)