Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Vaginal Atrophy alternatives to Oestrogen  (Read 2787 times)

burtoj2

• First Flush
Vaginal Atrophy alternatives to Oestrogen
« on: August 24, 2021, 09:53:24 AM »

Hi, I have vaginal atrophy, but I am unable to take oestrogen as it make me ill and give me horrible migraines.  Can anyone suggest any alternatives.  Also I keep having waterwork problems too, any advice on this much appreciated.  Thanks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vaginal Atrophy alternatives to Oestrogen
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 11:21:29 AM »

Do U mean using either 'vagifem' or 'ovestin' in the vaginal area? One doesn't 'take' appropriate VA treatments ;-).

Do read the 'bladder issues' and 'Vaginal Atrophy' threads on the forum.  Make notes ;-).  4 me it was like razor blades  :o up there.  Occaiosnal urine infection-type symptoms .  Now that I am using 'ovestin' regularly if the spincter nips when I stop doing a pee, I take 'nurofen' 2 capsules 3 times a day to ease symptoms

Do look at the 'yes' and 'sylc' websites too.  Let us know how you get on.

:welcomemm:

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 12:11:29 PM »

Hi burtoj2, welcome to the forum. When you say oestrogen makes you ill, are you referring to systemic or local products? The only longterm fix for VA is local oestrogen, to replace what has been lost.
JP x

burtoj2

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 12:12:11 PM »

Yes I was given vagifem estradiol vaginal tablets 10 mcg, but they made me feel ill with very bad migraines so i had to stop using.  I have Sylk.  I am using Replens at the moment, but still having UTI's.  I'll have a look at ovestin and the yes and sylc websites.  Thanks.

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 12:21:48 PM »

It's trial and error sometimes, with local oestrogen products. Occasionally people feel systemic effects when they first start it, but that should cease once the vaginal area plumps up. Ovestin has a different oestrogen (estriol rather than estradiol) so might be better for you. You could join the private Vaginal Atrophy Facebook support group, good information and advice to be had there, including others in your situation.
JP x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 01:21:50 PM »

Get rid of the 'replens' as it won't help replace the lack of oestrogen.  Ask for 'ovestin' as the alternative ........ some do experience headaches initially with 'vagifem', though as it's such a localised product, I wonder how it is absorbed enough to cause problems. 

burtoj2

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 01:23:03 PM »

Yes, was using vaginal inserted oestrogen, and understand this is the only best treatment, but I can't use it as it makes me ill.  Looking for alternatives. Also would like ideas to stop urine infections due to vaginal atrophy.  Thanks.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 01:25:29 PM »

There isn't a 'best' treatment  :-\.   There are products that a GP can prescribe specifically for Vaginal Atrophy, the idea being to plump up the vaginal tissues which stops itching.   As oestrogen levels drop the skin may become thin, including the vagina.

R U experiencing 'infections' or symptoms of the need to pee often?  VA mimics repeated urine infection-type symptoms really really well!

I take 'nurofen' regularly to ease niggling symptoms when my bladder feels irritated.  Do read our threads, make notes ;-)

Haydo

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 02:53:44 PM »

Hi burtoj2

Have you tried the different oestrogen alternatives or just the vagifem?   I was first prescribed estriol cream which made me feel unwell and I had to stop using it.  I then switched to vagifem, which gave me headaches initially but they wore off after about 2 weeks.   

If you haven’t already tried it, it might be worth you trying the estriol cream or ovestin cream to see if it has the same effect on you as the vagifem.  You might be ok with it. 

burtoj2

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 03:24:51 PM »

Hi Haydo,

I was prescribed Vagifem estradiol vaginal tablets 10mcg, which i had to stop taking.  When I got back in touch with my doctors for anything else as an alternative I was told that was it and they couldn't give me anything else.  I'll go back to them and ask about the estriol cream or ovestin cream.  Thanks.

Has anybody tried natural oestrogen foods to see if they help?

Haydo

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 04:39:47 PM »

It might be worth looking at the website for Pharma Nord sea buckthorn oil capsules (omega 7).   I have used these and they did help to a certain extent.    They are recommended by opticians for dry eyes  too.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 09:39:32 PM »

Nothing will replace a loss of oestrogen, which is a natural progression of ageing.  However, you were given incorrect information!  There are several preparations to treat VA , 'vagifem', 'ovestin' and I believe a newer product on the market in recent months? 

MayB ask for an appt to a dedicated menopause clinic? 

burtoj2

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2021, 03:50:09 PM »

Thankyou for all the useful advice.  Will try these.  :)