Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oestrogen blood levels  (Read 2220 times)

Pippa52

Oestrogen blood levels
« on: July 30, 2021, 04:18:12 PM »

Hi Everyone,
Looking for some advice/help please.  I am 68 years old and had a hysterectomy at 30 and my ovaries surgically removed at 42.  I've been on Oestrogel ever since which suited me well until last year they slightly changed the formula.  For some reason this really does not agree with me at all and I have been advised to change to Lenzetto spray.  I had a blood test done at my GP for Oestradiol levels and it came back at 98pmol/L.  My GP seemed to think this was low but having researched on the internet it seems high for my age so I am somewhat confused.  I am due to start Lenzetto next week.  I was wondering if anyone knew what a low Oestradiol blood level normally would be for my age etc? My GP seemed very unclear on it all.  I am feeling pretty rough - headache, some hot flushes, anxiety and a bit 'high' if that makes any sense and am wondering whether my levels are too high or too low with these symptoms. I am on 2 and 1/2 pumps of Oestrogel. Also has anyone else made the switch from Oestrogel to Lenzetto and if so how did it go?  Would be very grateful for any advice or help.  Thanks in advance xxx

Scampidoodle

Re: Oestrogen blood levels
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 06:02:43 PM »

When you say they changed the formula do you mean Oestrodose as opposed to Oestrogel? X

Pippa52

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 01:52:26 PM »

Hi - no it is still the Oestrogel not Oestrodose.  Oestrogel changed from Estradiol 17b to Estradiol hemihydrate.  It is  supposed to be identical in dosage and bioavailability according to the manufacturers who I have emailed but clearly they are not as I feel absolutely awful on it.  :(

Scampidoodle

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 04:04:11 PM »

Ah I didn’t know that. As someone who is sensitive to v small changes like this I really do sympathise. Hope you get some answers x

Pippa52

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 07:47:42 PM »

Scamidoodle - thanks so much for your lovely message... much appreciated xxx

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 08:30:22 PM »

Hi where did you get the info that Oestrogel has changed its formula ? X

Salad

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 10:47:34 PM »

I wouldn’t worry about the level too much, it’s more important to feel well. See if you get on better with the spray  :D

Pippa52

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 02:20:37 PM »

Hi Dotty
I was trying to work out why I felt so poorly and after a couple of weeks of feeling rough I checked the Oestrogel cans and found that Estradiol 17b had been changed to Estradiol hemihydrate.  I wrote to the drug company that make Oestrogel and they assured me it would give the same effect as the old formulation - well for me it didn't.  I have been in touch now with a Menopause Consultant who tells me she has other patients who have found just the same that the new formulation does not suit them and they are not absorbing it properly and she has changed her patients on to the transdermal spray Lenzetto.  I started using Lenzetto esterday and so far so good I feel much more levelled out already although that does seem rather a quick response.  I truly don't think I was absorbing the new Oestrogel formulation - it just didn't suit me.  I was on Oestrogel for well over 20 years with no problems but sadly the new one is not for me.

Dotty

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 04:34:19 PM »

Hi Pippa52
I’m going to look at my cans of Oestrogel to see what they say. Thanks x

Opal

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 02:13:42 PM »

I have been feeling a bit off the last few weeks and have just checked my Oestorgel and it has changed due another script so will see how I go with this one will need to speak to doctor

Scampidoodle

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 05:35:15 PM »

Hope the lenzetto continues to help you Pippa and good detective work! X

Pippa52

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2021, 09:54:45 AM »

Scampidoodle thank you :)  I have been on Lenzetto spray now for just over one week now and 2 days ago I upped it as my Dr had prescribed to 2 sprays - sheeeesh felt like I was on speed - soooo hyper - couldn't sleep or function, racking headache, felt very very sick so yesterday dropped it back down to one spray again. Real dilemma really as one spray is not quite enough and 2 is too much.  As it is a spray can't do a half dose so am thinking of maybe blocking off half of the opening and seeing how that works.  That would be the equivalent dose of what I was on with the Oestrogel (old formula) which I felt ok on although apparently my blood level was low (98).  SO difficult to get the right dose of HRT but hopefully in time I will.  The Lenzetto is very easy to use and I really like that and it dries so quickly - definitely want to stick with it. I have a review with the Dr in October and another blood test a week before.  I am definitely coming back as a man :)  ;D x

EllaAurora

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2021, 12:00:07 PM »

Hi Dotty
I was trying to work out why I felt so poorly and after a couple of weeks of feeling rough I checked the Oestrogel cans and found that Estradiol 17b had been changed to Estradiol hemihydrate.  I wrote to the drug company that make Oestrogel and they assured me it would give the same effect as the old formulation - well for me it didn't.  I have been in touch now with a Menopause Consultant who tells me she has other patients who have found just the same that the new formulation does not suit them and they are not absorbing it properly and she has changed her patients on to the transdermal spray Lenzetto.  I started using Lenzetto esterday and so far so good I feel much more levelled out already although that does seem rather a quick response.  I truly don't think I was absorbing the new Oestrogel formulation - it just didn't suit me.  I was on Oestrogel for well over 20 years with no problems but sadly the new one is not for me.

Hi Pippa52,
hope you are feeling well today! Unfortunately, I can't comment on the Lenzetto question as I've never tried it, but as an Estrogel user, got curious about above point that there had been a chance in the formula last year. How did that affect you and do you remember at which point of the year the change happened? Do you, or anyone else, know what the difference between Estradiol 17B and Estradiol hemihydrate is? Very interesting to hear that the Meno consultant has had other patients with the same experience.
Take care and hope you'll find solution with Lenzetto as it otherwise suits you well!!
xxx

Pippa52

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2021, 01:03:47 PM »

Hi EllaAurora,

Thanks so much for your message. From memory I think that the formula changed mid 2020 or at least that is when I personally got the new  formula for the first time.  There is a difference between Estradiol 17b and Estradiol hemihydrate as the hemihydrate one tends to be less well absorbed and is 3% less potent apparently.  Officially hemihydrate implies that it  consists of estradiol with water molecules added and you would think that would be very little difference but it certainly affected me badly.  I had a permanent headache, felt very nauseous and light headed and also anxious and fatigued.  I tried changing the dose but to no avail.  I reverted back to the old formula as thankfully I had quite a few of them left and within a day felt fine again.  Tried again to use the new one but exactly the same effects which is why I went to see a Menopause consultant.  I had a telephone consultation with her and she then prescribed the Lenzetto and wrote me a long letter explaining things and her wording re Estrogel was ''I am aware that you are not alone in experiencing problems on the newer version of Estrogel.  It is not a product I prescribe now as I believe there are far superior alternatives available''   I had written to the drug company who make Estrogel (Besins) but they simply kept telling me that nothing had changed so I had to agree to differ with them as clearly something has particularly as the Menopause consultant confirmed she has other patients who have had the same experience as I did.  I hope so much this helps a bit.  I am on the Lenzetto now and it is so easy to use. Bizarrely it is also estradiol hemihydrate but clearly slightly different as I don't have any of the bad effects I did on Estragel.  Now it is a matter of getting the dose right.  If I can help further don't hesitate to message me.  xxxx

EllaAurora

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2021, 05:21:08 PM »

Hi Pippa,
thanks a lot for your reply! I can totally relate to your experience -some of us are very sensitive and even small changes in the product can make a big difference.

Great to hear that Lenzetto is working better for you, and hope you'll get the dose settled. I'm hearing many ladies really like Lenzetto, so I guess the only downside with it is that dosage tweaking is more complex than with gel. Though even with gel, I think its quite tricky as I feel every day I manage to apply it a little differently, to larger/smaller amount of skin or rubbing longer/shorter time etc, and I feel that these little things make a difference as I'm not on a steady base level yet after changing back from patch to gel 1.5 weeks ago. Its really a trial and lots of errors but hopefully one day will get there  ::)

Take care and hope you'll get settled with Lenzetto soon! xxx
Pages: [1] 2