Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Feeling so depressed from the air hunger A terrible existence  (Read 2546 times)

loonarider

Feeling so depressed from the air hunger A terrible existence
« on: September 20, 2021, 09:18:12 PM »

Hi,

I just can't breathe, and it's been happening most months about 12 days to my period all day and at night. I also get sore throat and cough, but I don't care about that.

The breathing is like I can't get a full breathe in where I end up wheezing because of it. It's like I'm about to drown or have a plastic bag over my head all the time

It is really messing with my mebtal health where I've been thinking of ending it as I'm finding it hard to cope. No amount mindful breathing is helping or meditation.

Peak flow shows I don't have asthma, oxygen levels are good and had an ecg a few months ago and my heart is fine.

I get so scared that it might be serious like lung cancer or a clot in my hesrt.

Just so tired living like this and feeling afraid of dying. I look at my partner at night when we're in bed just doze off to sleep, breathing effortlessly. And I cry.

I want to feel a little normal. Give me hot flushes, mood swings, throw anything at me, but just not the drowning. This is a terrible existence :'(
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 09:20:51 PM by loonarider »

Lyncola

Re: Feeling so depressed from the air hunger A terrible existence
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 08:28:14 AM »

Hi loonarider,

I just want to give you a big hug. I’m so sorry your going through this breathing issue, it sounds terrible. Hopefully someone will come along with more helpful information for you.
I’m sending you big hugs and positive thoughts all the way from Down Under (Australia)
 :bighug:

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 08:32:40 AM »

So sorry loonarider. What are your oxygen levels today?

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 08:53:20 AM »

It's probably a build up of fluids prior to a bleed.  I remember having a shortness of breath in the few days leading up to a period, every month.

Drink more!  Get the kidneys working.  MayB ask your GP for a diuretic?

Do U sing?   Not many people breath correctly, so we don't fill the lungs enough.  Singing out loud will encourage the lungs to inflate.  Don't sit hunched over (my bad habit  >:() which makes those feelings worse.  Get a straight back chair and sit with bum feeling the seat at the back, head upright - pant for a few breaths then draw in a breath through the nose and hold.  Breath out through the mouth slowly. Repeat 3 times.  Then with hands in your lap, relax from the shoulders downwards, concentrating hard on each movement.

Gnatty

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 09:56:07 AM »

Am I right in thinking breathlessness is another menopause symptom? Do you take HRT? Maybe it would help with everything else having been ruled out.

loonarider

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 12:58:54 PM »

Hi loonarider,

I just want to give you a big hug. I’m so sorry your going through this breathing issue, it sounds terrible. Hopefully someone will come along with more helpful information for you.
I’m sending you big hugs and positive thoughts all the way from Down Under (Australia)
 :bighug:

Thank you xx

loonarider

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 01:00:11 PM »

So sorry loonarider. What are your oxygen levels today?

Taz x

Hey Taz,

Oxygen levels ranging between 97 and 99.  You'd think it's be around 60 the way I'm breathing.

I also am a day late, so it seems this breathing issue is gonna hang around a lot longer until flow comes I assume  :'(

loonarider

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 01:02:03 PM »

It's probably a build up of fluids prior to a bleed.  I remember having a shortness of breath in the few days leading up to a period, every month.

Drink more!  Get the kidneys working.  MayB ask your GP for a diuretic?

Do U sing?   Not many people breath correctly, so we don't fill the lungs enough.  Singing out loud will encourage the lungs to inflate.  Don't sit hunched over (my bad habit  >:() which makes those feelings worse.  Get a straight back chair and sit with bum feeling the seat at the back, head upright - pant for a few breaths then draw in a breath through the nose and hold.  Breath out through the mouth slowly. Repeat 3 times.  Then with hands in your lap, relax from the shoulders downwards, concentrating hard on each movement.

No I don't sing, but your tips are super helpful and I never connected period  water retention with shortness sod breath, very interesting!

It's a nightmare, and lo and behold my period is late by a day so far, but the cramps are there and the shortness of breath isn't letting up. I'm praying for aunt flow to show :(

loonarider

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 01:04:40 PM »

Am I right in thinking breathlessness is another menopause symptom? Do you take HRT? Maybe it would help with everything else having been ruled out.

Yes, I think you are right that it could be another menopause symptom.

I didn't do too well for a few weeks on evorel 50 patches so the doctor has prescribed Lenzetto spray which I am going to use today, but waiting for my partner to return from work before I use it, just in case I have a bad reaction.

Interestingly my doc said I should halve the Utrogestan 100mg which is impossible since its spherical in shape - And he says to insert it vaginally when my period starts.

Isn't it going to be tricky and, well, messy???

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 02:28:56 PM »

Yep  ::) - what we women have to Put Up With  >:(

I feel bloated today, probably because I didn't drink enough yesterday. 

VictoryV

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 04:29:24 PM »

I’ve never tried to halve a 100mg Utrogestan pill but I’d prob use a craft knife or a Stanley knife if I needed to.

It’s not messy, I forgot I’d done it the morning after and didn’t notice anything.

Good luck with the spray.

Victoria.x

loonarider

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 07:39:23 AM »

I’ve never tried to halve a 100mg Utrogestan pill but I’d prob use a craft knife or a Stanley knife if I needed to.

It’s not messy, I forgot I’d done it the morning after and didn’t notice anything.

Good luck with the spray.

Victoria.x

Thank you x :)