Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: New symptoms whilst taking HRT - bladder  (Read 705 times)

Louey

New symptoms whilst taking HRT - bladder
« on: June 23, 2021, 09:59:25 AM »

Hi

I started HRT - Estrogel and Utrogestan in Feb this year and to be honest haven't noticed any great effects. I started on two pumps and am now up to three. I have been on Vagifem since January.

My main symptoms were vaginal discomfort, sleeplessness and general mood with some flushes and whilst I don't have any flushes anymore the rest has not changed and in some instances has got worse.

My VA has got worse - not helped by taking the utro vaginally the first month which seemed to kick off a horrible reaction - and then about 6 weeks ago the bladder symptoms kicked in with constant urge to urinate and urethra pressure. Two sets of antibiotics later, plus lots of D-Mannose and things are much the same with good days and bad - today is bad.

Have sent a urine culture to the GPs and waiting the results - the antibiotics seem to help for a couple of days but then it comes back whilst I am taking them.

GP has suggested upping the Vagifem to daily which I have done but no change. Also use a very little bit of estriol cream externally as this is all I can tolerate - Ovestin also caused a big reaction.

Have to say that I know lots of others suffer from these issues but I am really not in a good place with it and just don't know where to go. Read so much about embedded UTIs etc that it all gets a bit scary.

I really did think that the systemic HRT would prevent symptoms starting when I was on it but am either naive or just eternally hopeful.

Anyone have any advice on where I might go next ?

Many thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New symptoms whilst taking HRT - bladder
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 09:16:29 PM »

Your GP should have sent urine samples to a Lab immediately  >:(  :bang:

Some ladies require 'vagifem' every night.  Plus other moistorisors for the outer labia.  "yes" or "sylc" springs to mind  :-\.

When I get the urge to P I take 2 Nurofen 3 times a day until symptoms settle.  Your GP could have given you that advice as well. 

Think why you began the HRT?  Some find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary of use.  Could you split a 'vagifem' capsule to put a little around the outer areas, the idea being to soften the vagina etc. which prevents drying = itchiness.  Read our 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads too: make notes ;-)