Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mirena Coil Experiences  (Read 614 times)

FelineFine

Mirena Coil Experiences
« on: June 23, 2021, 01:09:10 PM »

Hi all,

Newbie here, been sent on a mission by my GP to educate myself on HRT options before a call again this Friday. I feel very educated after several hours of reading but there's not much recently on the Mirena coil so thought I may ask to see if anyone can help. I've had a good search through the forums but all references seem quite old and well, things do move on.

My GP mentioned the Mirena coil, it doesn't readily appear as an HRT option when I google except for these forums.

The queries I have personally are:

I'm squeamish and struggle with a smear, not least I've been told by nurses I'm 'at an angle' I know right?! :D So the idea of a UID makes me quite fearful! Is it really that bad? The idea of anything passing my cervix turns me green.

I was on the progesterone only pill for PMS symptons, I just found it numbed me more than anything. Especially in terms of libido, which is just as well as I'm single but coming off it was like being a hormonal teenager again! :D I don't want to feel 'numb' again, just have my symptoms (mood swings, lack of concentration, low moods) under control.

I guess if it's UID with estrogen then it may be different.

In short, are there any advantages over the other options? Although it may be availabliity at the moment.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

FF x

Grheliz1

Re: Mirena Coil Experiences
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 02:06:39 PM »

I have a Mirena coil to provide progesterone along with oestrogel for the oestrogen component of my HRT. I was a bit apprehensive, but it works really well.

FelineFine

Re: Mirena Coil Experiences
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 02:43:53 PM »

I have a Mirena coil to provide progesterone along with oestrogel for the oestrogen component of my HRT. I was a bit apprehensive, but it works really well.
Thank you for the feedback and it's great to hear it works well for you. :up