Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Need HRT help and advice  (Read 717 times)

ELM2712

Need HRT help and advice
« on: June 30, 2021, 11:10:16 PM »

Hi everyone, this is my first post so thanks for any help you can offer me.

I’m 58, last period 3 years ago. Had the usual hot flushes, no sweating, mainly at night and not terrible, just annoying waking up. A few years ago, I had aching feet mainly in the morning but that symptom has gone long ago. The symptom I still have and find the worst, is anxiety. So, I have started HRT on advice from my GP. She is very pro HRT. Also read everything on the Dr Louise Newson website and follow her Instagram.

So, I started slowly. Estradot patch 25 for 4 weeks. I’m now on Estradot 37.5 and have been for 4 weeks. I’m about to start the Utrogestan and will do so vaginally 3 times a week at night. (I’ve just had a pelvic scan and uterus is fine so I’m not worried about delaying the progesterone and did so on GP advice).

On the 37.5, I had 3 great weeks. Slept well, had no anxiety, best I have felt in a long while. I was actually amazed. However, not so now. My sleep is terrible. I fall asleep easily around 9pm but wake constantly after 1am. I’m about to start the Utrogestan (vaginally and 3 times a week as per GP). I am nervous about this because I have been told that this is the downside of HRT and if you are going to have issues, this is where it will occur. However, it is not an option of course to not take it.

I was worried about HRT but I have read so much on it now, and can see so many benefits. I am trying to to work out why the sleeping has gone downhill and is this making my anxiety rear it’s ugly head again ?? Lack of sleep is shocking and certainly wrecks your day.

I thought 37.5 was a low dose so surely I can’t have TOO much estrogen on board. Is it the delay in starting the progesterone maybe ?? Is it just overthinking this, causing bad sleep and my anxiety has resurfaced as a result ??

I’m so confused about what to do and beginning to regret starting HRT. But, I did not want to take Anti Depressants and felt this was a safer option with other health benefits. I am so tired of Anxiety, especially when I have no reason to be anxious !!

Sorry for the long post, but I am feeling lost and searching for answers on the internet is draining.

Look forward to hearing from you and thanks for reading x

Cookie25

Re: Need HRT help and advice
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 09:29:41 PM »

Hi ELM2712

welcome! Sorry your query is not one I have experience on but hopefully someone will come along and have some advice for you xxxxx

jaycee

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 09:36:13 PM »

My daughter is on this regime,but takes the Utrogestan orally at night,her sleep has much improved, not sure if i have read it right,but have you tried taking the Utrogestan orally,it might make a diference?
Im sure she takes them every night though

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 09:49:22 PM »

Hi and welcome ELM2712!

ELM2712

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 09:33:47 AM »

Hi and thanks for your replies. Jaycee, I haven’t tried taking it orally. I guess I thought it would be the lowest chance of side affects going vaginally plus you only need to do this 3 times a week. I could try orally. Is there any risk increase taking them orally? I know they are not licensed to be administered vaginally but my GP says it’s perfectly safe and quite a popular way to go.

I wondered too if 37.5 is not enough now. You seem to get settled and then symptoms creep back. I’m new to this so worry that it’s like you just have to keep feeding the symptoms with more and more medication?

Has your daughter stuck with 37.5 and if so for how long? Has she ever needed to increase the dosage ?

Thanks for your help x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 09:50:53 AM »

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes .

Gnatty

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 12:32:23 PM »

I think it's still a pretty low dose, tbh. Speak again to your GP might be a good idea. It's not uncommon to need to increase dose a few times to get it right. Those Estradot patches I think go up to 100. Do you follow the Instagram, Meandmyhrt? Pretty sure that lady takes two patches both 100 each.

ELM2712

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 12:46:55 PM »

Yes, 37.5 is still a low dose. If I go to the next level ‘50’ then hopefully that should be it. I mean, I am not in Peri, so one would think I would need less estrogen now as surely the levels are not up and down anymore.

I’m just worried that the more you take, the more you need and I really want to take as low dose as possible.

Any good news stories on Utrogestan ??