Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Emollient sensitivity.  (Read 1508 times)

Postmeno3

Emollient sensitivity.
« on: June 28, 2021, 07:58:46 AM »

Hi. Has anyone been prescribed an emollient, like Hydromol, for the bath? Does anyone experience any sensitivity to emollients used in this way? I feel it's just not working for me and am possibly undoing all the good of the hrt regime. I start to feel a stinging, mildly burning sensation internally within a couple of hours of using it in the bath (just one tiny measure out of the up to three recommended!) and am inflamed and red internally next day. Time to stop, methinks!

Tinkerbell

Re: Emollient sensitivity.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 08:09:53 AM »

I used an emollient on my legs as they were so dry  back in the winter and had a reaction to it, they went bright red and inflamed looking. I used E45 aqueous many years ago  and had a similar issue too.

Postmeno3

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 08:13:25 AM »

Gosh, if that's external what must internal be like!!!!! Sorry you've experienced this!

Lamplighter

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 09:30:15 AM »

Hi Postmeno3, funnily enough I've just started using Hydromol (externally) for labial dryness, and it's the fourth of four emollients I tried - Doublebase Dayleve, Cetraben and Epaderm all caused stinging and burning (as did vagifem and estriol cream some months ago).  Hydromol is the only one so far that doesn't sting and burn (and actually does seem to help, albeit marginally).

I can only assume it's different skin reactions to the different ingredients - none of this menopause stuff makes sense does it?  From what I gather emollients are made specifically for things like ezcema and every one I've looked at has stated 'don't use on mucous membranes' - which I assume the vagina might approximate?  Perhaps try it not in the bath, but externally, and see what happens.

Sorry you're having to suffer like that, it's hell isn't it?  xxx

By the way, I just bought mine over the counter, didn't need a prescription (but it did take me a looooong time to find out that such things existed - GP telling me to try 'moisturisers').   ::)

LL

Postmeno3

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 04:07:07 PM »

Thanks, LL. Yes, feeling a bit raw and sorry for myself today! I've just re-read the label and it says for external use only!!!!! This makes it a bit of a contradiction as a BATH emollient and providing instructions for use in the bath!!!!! Hmmmmmm.....not impressed! Are there ladies who do get back to having baths once treatment is working or are baths off limits now......😢
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 04:11:37 PM by Postmeno3 »

Lamplighter

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 09:33:24 PM »

Postmeno3, I don't think you were wrong to use it for having a bath - I came across this NHS site which explains a bit about using emollients, e.g. as a soap substitute - though for vulval issues (ie external) rather than vaginal.  It recommends, amongst other things, using an emollient a bit like a barrier cream before getting in the shower or bath.

https://www.nbt.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/attachments/Care%20of%20Vulval%20Skin_NBT002509.pdf

Having said that, I applied the three others mentiioned in post above externally and they stung all the same. 

Perhaps you could try a different one?  Like everything to do with menopause, it seems to be a case of constant trial and error.

LL xxx