Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Why are clothes sizes getting smaller?  (Read 3248 times)

Dorothy

Why are clothes sizes getting smaller?
« on: June 10, 2021, 09:15:56 AM »

I buy the same things year in year out, yet I'm finding I'm having to buy larger sizes.  And it's not because I'm getting bigger because the old clothes in the smaller sizes still fit.

For example, Cotton traders pull on crop trousers - I have a very old pair which I use for gardening that is a size 14 and a slightly newer pair that is size 16.  I've just ordered a replacement pair, also in size 16, which looks identical to my previous pair, but they are skin tight on me.

Same thing with t-shirts.  I always buy M&S relaxed fit crew neck 100% cotton.  I have one which is over 10 years old which is labelled M.  I have a couple which are 5 years old which are labelled L.  And when I had to order a couple of new ones last year, L was too tight on me, so I ended up with XL.  Yet if you lay them on top of each other, they are almost identical, except that the XL is longer than the L and M sizes.

My only thought is whether by making us wear 'larger' sizes it is an attempt to shame us all into losing weight.  Any other ideas?

Two hoots

Re: Why are clothes sizes getting smaller?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 04:17:37 PM »

I was having the same discussion a couple of weeks ago about M & S tee shirts. I saw a pretty tee shirt on line, when I read the reviews people were buying two sizer bigger for a good fit  :o when I went into the shop and found the tee shirt it was tiny.  When will shops realise lots of people will not go up sizes but would be delighted to go down a size.

Can I add M & S short length trousers used to fit me, now they are at least 3 inches too long  :(

littleminnie

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 05:08:11 PM »

I’ve given up on sizes, I just hold them up and see what looks right. (Difficult if you buy online though 🙂)
Ive bought size 6’s and size 14’s.   

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 08:42:54 PM »

Because the World has become FAT  >:( so rather than upsetting customers, clothing manufacturers have made items larger but with 12/14 on rather than 10/12.  So we get conned big time as well as there have never been regular sizing: especially with imports from the US!

It's not us, it's them  ;D.  I buy from Cotton Traders as they sell jeans at 27" length which is exactly correct 4 me.  Also charity shops ;-)

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 09:50:03 PM »

Despite being heavier than I was when I was 20 I'm a size smaller. Trouser lengths are a pain in the backside. When you buy mens trousers they tell you waist size and leg length. So why do we have to guess?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 09:55:44 PM »

Good point!  Yours is muscle, wrestling those 🐑 🐏 .............

I tend to buy several items in different colours once I find clothing that fits.  2 years ago I bought 2 pairs of coloured jeans in a size 10 and wondered why they don't fit   >:(  ;D so if anyone wants a pair of worn once washed once and a pair of never fitted jeans ...........  on the off chance that they might fit  :whist:

Dorothy

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 12:23:49 PM »

I used to try instore, but with all the Covid precautions now, and not being able to try on in store anyway it's easier just to do mail order.  It's just very annoying when the sizes keep changing!

I'm used to varying widely in size between different brands (I currently own every size between 12 and 22, which all fit me!) but it's infuriating to find sizes varying so much on the same items!

Maybe it's to discourage people from buying all their clothes on Ebay - if you can't tell if those trousers are M&S 'old' 14 or 'new' 14, you won't know if they fit or not!