Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Estradot/utrogestan  (Read 972 times)

Lynda2

• First Flush
Estradot/utrogestan
« on: June 02, 2021, 03:47:28 PM »

Hi
I started Estrodot and Utrogestan on a conti basis mid april,after a couple of nights of not sleeping I started to feel much better and now sleep through the night.I had a very light bleed about 3/4 weeks ago.The last couple of days I've suddenly started to feel dreadful,low mood irritable and have very swollen fingers and feet. Ive also got a dull headache and feel quite sick but hungry if that makes sense.Is this something that settles down or will I gradually feel worse.
This is the longest I've ever been able to take any form of progesterone due to side effects.
Im really hoping its my body just adjusting and would be great to hear other peoples experiences.

westie

Re: Estradot/utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 09:14:14 AM »

Hi Lynda

So sorry your feeling bad. Progesterone does seem to be the problem for many of us with HRT. it makes me feel so bad I can only take it on a cyclical basis because I can’t stand feeling so rubbish all the time.

However, as you have only been taking it for a short time it may be that it will settle down once your body gets used to having hormones again, I know this is the case for many ladies which is why it is best to give it three months to see how you go.

It really is a rollercoaster getting the right balance. I am two years in and still having various issues but am trying hard to get the balance right because I feel so much better when taking Oestrogen.

Hope you feel brighter soon

W xx

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 10:30:51 AM »

I think you should see your gp because of the swollen hands and feet. There may be another problem of perhaps you have an allergic reaction to the hrt. Please ring them today, allergic reactions can get worse.

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 01:19:43 PM »

Hi Lynda :) this HRT lark is a minefield to get it right isn't it! I hope you get some help from your GP with regards to the swellings?

I have been trying to find my HRT balance since September 19, first on gel/utrogestan orally on a conti regime ( I am nearly 65 and don't want to bleed). I tried FemSeven conti patches when there were re-released early this year but they irritated my skin something awful and left red marks for weeks so can't use those.

I am now on Estradot 50 (but have stuck another half patch on today as still having the occasional hot flush so trying it to see) and at the end of May I started trialling the Utrogestan 100mg vaginally every other night.

(NB. I read Dr Louise Newson's website - she says "The dose of using progesterone vaginally is half the oral dose (so, for example, you can use one 100mg Utrogestan capsule vaginally alternate evenings). While the drug is not licensed to take in this way, it is perfectly safe to do so and there is good evidence to support its use this way".)

So I am hoping this will make a difference to my constant gurgling tummy which I get when taking orally.

Be interested to hear if anyone else is doing this regime and if they have been ok on it?

Hope your symptoms settle down soon, but I am still trying to find the best one for me!
Take care xx

Lynda2

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 06:38:00 AM »

Thank ypu for your replys.
Im pleased to say the swelling all disappeared as soon as the tempreture cooled down a bit.
Im not feeling quite as bad at the moment, so im hoping its my body adjusting to the hormones.
I may try the utrogestan every other night as I have heard of people doing this before, unfortunately cant find any information on it at present.
Who would of thought the meno journey could be so difficult, my mum had a few hot flushes and that was it.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 07:57:32 AM »

Hi Lynda2

As Julia Dizzy says Louise Newson amongst others suggest alternate day VAGINAL use of utrogestan for those who cannot tolerate it on a daily continuous basis. However whether or not it works to protect the uterus will depend on the oestrogen dose you are taking as well as your own womb - how it responds. There is some research from small trials to show that this dosing regime can protect the uterus - when using low to medium doses of oestrogen. If you choose to go down this route be sure to check it out with your doctor and  be vigilant about any unscheduled bleeding or spotting - which you have experienced already. if you are post-menopausal, but with a change of HRT then some bleeding is expected in the first six months but it is important not to ignore persistent bleeding especially if you are on an off-licence regime.  Ideally regular scans shoud be given to check all is well.

Hurdity x

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 11:59:34 AM »

Thanks Hurdity, I've never really known if I am intolerant to Utrogestan because I tend to feel rubbish in general most of the time! Since I have been using it vaginally I seem to be having more internal twinges and more urine urgency, also feel more dopey??! (if that's possible haha) No bleed so far though, but I do find it a bit of a faff,  using Utro and Vagifem on alternate nights, not sure if I'm happy with this way really.

What symptoms do other people have if they are intolerant? I had Indivina 1mg 2.5mg in 2011 and was fine on that for a year, so wonder if I could switch to Provera as it's the same progesterone as in that? Although getting my GP to change anything without the say-so of the Meno clinic gynae Dr is a right pain !

I have been sticking another half patch on to make the Estradot 75, hot flushes seem to have gone, but not sure if it is too much? I was on 2 pumps gel before the patches which Gynae Dr said I could up it to 3 pumps every other day if I needed it which I did now and then.
I have bought a home Forth hormone testing kit through the MyGp app, (reduced price but still £80!)  seeing as no-one will do blood tests for hormones at my practice and appointments are still not being offered at the Meno clinic.
I'll see what that shows up and then decide the way forward I think. My initial thoughts are to stick with the Estradot 75, go back to oral Utro at night with a view to trying provera?

Any more advice would be gratefully received. Thanks :)