Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Insomnia restless legs  (Read 1166 times)

Lauraprovis

• First Flush
Insomnia restless legs
« on: June 08, 2021, 09:45:17 AM »

Hi, I’ve just joined and been reading how everyone helps each other, which is fantastic.

My question is…. I’m menopausal, 3 years , and was misdiagnosed with anxiety when I was peri (about 10 years ago) and put on citilopram.   I now realise that insomnia, anxiety and restless legs are all signs of menopause!  Should I try HRT to enable sleep, then I can finally get this weight off?  Anyone else experienced this and have some much needed advice?

Laura

Iris67

Re: Insomnia restless legs
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 10:07:08 AM »

Often happens - the misdiagnosis - easier to hand out antidepressants than do the complex work involved with menopause. I was even offered antidepressants when menopause was evident and not in doubt! I have a friend who works in the field of dependence on antidepressants so I am a bit wary - modern HRT is so good now that you should definitely try it if you have no cancer (hormonal) history. It is such a complex picture that HRT would do you so much more good. And get them to check for testosterone too - it is heavily indicated for all sorts of symptoms.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 12:56:44 PM »

One isn't usually addicted to antidepressants.  Some may take a while to wean off to avoid bounce back symptoms, it took me 9 weeks to wean off by decreasing amounts of one, can't remember which  ::)

As for restless legs: mine were cured by eating bananas.  I don't use the word 'cured' often, I was eating bananas to ease blood sugar variations which made me very, very nauseous.  NAPS recommended eating every 3 hours, 24/7 including bananas.  Within 5 nights the restless legs issue had gone.  If it bothers me I now take 'nurofen' at night as that is when it's a real problem.

I've tried leaving my legs out of bed hanging down as well as trying to sleep with them up the wall  ::)

Iris67

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 01:44:00 PM »

Bananas are high in potassium - electrolyte imbalance caused by hot flushes/night sweats?

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 03:40:38 PM »

I didn't know about the potassium until 2-3 years later.  I haven't suffered with surges thank goodness.

Lauraprovis

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 10:02:05 PM »

Thank you so much for your help.....
 Think I’m going to try HRT and definitely eat bananas!

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 08:36:19 AM »

Layer of brown bread with butter; sliced bananas covered in brown sugar  8)

In the mean time take a pain relief morning and 20 mins. B4 bed to allow the banana effect to kick in [see what I did there  ;D]

marge

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 08:58:58 AM »

Just to say there was an article in yesterday’s Daily Mail all about restless legs syndrome. I tried to copy the link, but no luck. I’m sure it can be found online though.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9661719/Restless-legs-syndrome-sleep-wrecking-nightmare.html
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 10:03:45 AM by Emma »

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 11:43:57 AM »

Tnx.  Nothing about potassium levels being a possible causation.