Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Advice when HRT no longer helping  (Read 1008 times)

Rubyrue

• First Flush
Advice when HRT no longer helping
« on: May 12, 2021, 05:38:18 PM »

Hi all,
Just looking some advice from some of the more experienced HRT-ers here. Brief background - started HRT (femostan 2/10) about 2 years ago while still having periods. Worked great for 6 months then symptoms returned. Was switched to Elleste duet which was a horrendous experience. After a few months break (during which I had normal periods) I was given Evorel sequi in Feb 2020. Worked fab until symptoms returned with a vengeance 3 months ago - really awful anxiety, poor sleep, total brain fog, sore boobs. I have not had a bleed on the patches in 3 months either.  I’m wondering firstly is it likely I need a higher dose of oestrogen and secondly would the lack of a bleed mean I am now menopausal rather than peri meaning I would need to change HRT type altogether? I’m hoping that all makes sense  (brain not working ful speed these days😬). Any advice/ opinions appreciated.

Taz2

Re: Advice when HRT no longer helping
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 08:16:14 PM »

Hi Rubyrue - sorry in a rush so rather a quick reply but wanted to welcome you.

Your bleeding shouldn't change on the Evorel sequi patches really as this is not a normal period but merely a withdrawal bleed which should happen when you withdraw the progesterone containing patch at the end of the box. I'm not too clued up on how to tell if you need more oestrogen although sore boobs might suggest that your dose is high enough. Someone else will be along soon I am sure who knows more about that side of things than me.

I'm not sure how old you are but if you begin HRT while still having normal periods then you don't know when you are post menopausal unless you stop HRT to see if periods return. Most GP's use the age of 53/54 as being when they will swap you to continuous HRT which doesn't give a bleed after the initial six months when breakthrough bleeding can occur.

Hope this brief reply  might help! You will find lots of knowledge and help on here!

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Rubyrue

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 05:13:33 AM »

Thanks for you reply Taz2. I’m almost 53 so I suppose I’m almost at that point where the GP may consider continuous. With the Oestrogen I am clueless. I was just hoping it might be possible a reason my patches aren’t helping after a year of them making a big difference. Desperate to find an answer so was googling like crazy. I think I will just stop the evaorel sequi as I can’t feel any worse. Just wanted to get an idea of what to do next so I would know what to suggest to my lovely but not terribly menopause clued-in GP.

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 07:15:42 AM »

Hi it could be that your own oestrogen levels have fallen and so the patch is not giving you enough oestrogen. Periods can become less frequent on sequi HRT as you move into Peri menopause.

You could move onto an oestrogen only patch with Utrogestan or Oestrogel and Utrogestan . xxx

Rubyrue

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 08:54:06 AM »

Thanks Dotty. I was wondering if that might be the case with the oestrogen. Almost afraid to try something different in case I go even more loopy 🤪. But that gives me an option to discuss with the doc so thanks again for the suggestion. Its all a blooming minefield!