Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: A few things  (Read 1262 times)

Mandypands

A few things
« on: April 07, 2021, 07:44:42 AM »

Hello,
Just wanted to share stuff - started with peri menopausal symptoms from mid 40s, went to a female GP when I was 47,   and said think have started with PM symptoms, she didn't even ask what they were, but immediately responded with 'oh, you're far too young for that, when was the last time you had a nice holiday?'.
Suffered with horrendous period pain, periods becoming shorter, heavier, earlier, brain fog, insomnia, dry skin, bladder incontinence etc, worst of all terrible anxiety and low mood at certain times of the month, to the point where I was thinking I didn't want to be here. Finally went to another female  GP 10 months ago (am 50 now) telephone appointment because of COVID. To be honest felt rushed, didn't feel like she was listening to me, kept interrupting and talking over me and felt she wasn't that interested.
Anyway, started on novofem 1mg tabs. Nothing much happened for 5 months. Some symptoms had eased by 8 months but then started to come back.  I emailed my GP, detailing how I was still feeling, in the hope that I could actually make her HEAR me. She phoned and again, appointment was very rushed, said HRT probably wasn't strong enough.
I am now 2 months in to Estelle Conti 2mg. Not sure about it yet. Still waking in the middle of the night, but also feel very lathargic most of the time. I had a bad period on this, lasted a full 7 days with almost 2 weeks of period pains (a week before and during) and feeling really achy, tired and tearful for that 2 weeks.
During that time I bumped into my neighbour who is in her early 60s and is a retired practice nurse. My husband mentioned I wasn't feeling good and had recently changed HRT. Her reaction was shocking really, she said she had been on it for years, she felt 'absolutely fantastic' on it, best thing ever and that women who complain that it isn't working just need to have a more positive attitude towards it, they should try coming off it for a while to remind them how sh*t they felt off it, then they will appreciate how much it is helping them.
Myself and my husband were pretty disgusted by her attitude - imagine all the women at the practice she worked at getting that attitude?!
Anyway, sorry this has been long and rambling!
Has anyone else experienced lethargy on HRT? Will it go away?Have you tried testosterone gel to improve energy?
I noticed on the internet there's a private group of female doctors who do private consultations for £95 and they send a letter to your doctor advising them what HRT you should be on -herhealth I think it's called - anyone tried them?

CherrySG

Re: A few things
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 09:17:38 AM »

Hi Mandy. I felt permanently sluggish on hrt, although plenty of women say the opposite.

It drives me mad that women aren't being listened to like this. 😡 Possibly you could benefit from a different type of hrt? Say oestrogel and Utrogestan?

Haven't heard of herhealth but it sounds hopeful...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 07:38:17 PM »

When will Dr Currie and the Menopause Society get GPs to realise that menopause can begin at any age!  Girls may never menstruate, some have 1 or a few periods then nothing.  ? too early ? .......... when will GPs listen to patients!  :bang: :bang: :bang:

OK - better now.  :welcomemm:  Browse round.  Make notes.  Some find that keeping a food/mood/symptom diary of use. 

What you describe sounds 'within normal limits' from where I'm sitting.  It can be Trial and Error finding something that suits exactly which can be tiring. 

HORMONES  >:(  ::) .  Do read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads. Make notes.  4warned is 4armed ;-).

You'll get lots of advice!

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 07:04:45 AM »

Hi Mandypands. What a weird attitude. Dont listen to her! You have found us now and you will find lots of help, advice and understanding on here. It can take quite few tries before you find the right type of HRT which suits you.

I see you are on a conti HRT. Had you had a year without a natural period when you started it as this type of HRT is for post menopausal women?

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Mandypands

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 08:25:57 AM »

Thanks for the comments and advice 🙂. I am actually on Estelle Duet, my mistake. Still having monthly periods.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 07:23:29 PM »

Hi put the product name into the search box and see what pops up?