Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New and in need of advice please  (Read 1494 times)

Emma70

• First Flush
New and in need of advice please
« on: March 15, 2021, 08:34:37 PM »

Hi
I am 50 years old and didn't think that I had any menopausal symptoms  ::)

I had heavy constant bleeding between Jan 2020 - May 2020. I had an Hysteroscopy and change of copper coil to Mirena coil in May 2020 and the bleeding has stopped.

I have also been having repeated UTI's since April 2020 which clear up after antibiotics, but I have symptoms of burning sensation at the opening of my Urethra and wanting to wee all of the time, even if I've just emptied my bladder. I'm also disturbed at night having to wee. My GP eventually started me on Ovestin cream in September 2020 and my symptoms improved almost completely. The trouble I have is that since another UTI a few weeks ago my symptoms have returned. My GP advised me to increase the Ovestin to every day again for two weeks and then back to twice a week, but my symptoms are worse than ever  :'(

I have been researching online and my symptoms exactly fit Genitourinary Syndrome of the Menopause and I was wondering if anyone else has taken oral HRT for this? Or anything else for that matter  ;)

I'm really at my wits end and so fed up....I can't even go for a walk because of the need to wee!

I would be grateful for any wise words. Thanks, Emma x

Dierdre

Re: New and in need of advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 09:40:21 PM »

Hi Emma70 and welcome to the forum.  Lots of women take systemic HRT and local estrogen as well. You could also try Vagifem, most people tend to need to use both and usually more than twice a week, its quite safe to use Ovestin and Vagifem daily.

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 09:57:56 PM »

Hi
I am 50 years old and didn't think that I had any menopausal symptoms  ::)

I had heavy constant bleeding between Jan 2020 - May 2020. I had an Hysteroscopy and change of copper coil to Mirena coil in May 2020 and the bleeding has stopped.

I have also been having repeated UTI's since April 2020 which clear up after antibiotics, but I have symptoms of burning sensation at the opening of my Urethra and wanting to wee all of the time, even if I've just emptied my bladder. I'm also disturbed at night having to wee. My GP eventually started me on Ovestin cream in September 2020 and my symptoms improved almost completely. The trouble I have is that since another UTI a few weeks ago my symptoms have returned. My GP advised me to increase the Ovestin to every day again for two weeks and then back to twice a week, but my symptoms are worse than ever  :'(

I have been researching online and my symptoms exactly fit Genitourinary Syndrome of the Menopause and I was wondering if anyone else has taken oral HRT for this? Or anything else for that matter  ;)

I'm really at my wits end and so fed up....I can't even go for a walk because of the need to wee!

I would be grateful for any wise words. Thanks, Emma x
I  use Vagifem and Evorel Conti patches. The combination works pretty well but I do need both.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 09:13:09 AM »

Yet another GP who doesn't consider vaginal atrophy  >:(

Ask for either 'vagifem' or 'ovestin' - you don't need an exam or any blood tests. Read our threads on 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy'.  Once you get appropriate treatment symptoms should ease.

Let us know how you get on!

Emma70

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 11:20:36 AM »

Thank you all so much  :) :)
I didn’t know you could use ovestin every day for longer than two weeks!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 11:24:48 AM »

Nor do many GPs!

Mine noticed my symptoms were due to VA after I had put 3 urine samples into the surgery, he was cross as none were sent to a lab for testing!  Since treatment 3 years ago, with regular 'ovestin', I have been OK. 

If symptoms niggle, I take 2 'nurofen' 3 times a day.