Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Unsatisfactory blood tests  (Read 1927 times)

shrosphirelass

Unsatisfactory blood tests
« on: April 23, 2021, 12:21:28 PM »

I had several different blood tests on Tuesday as I have had ongoing bleeding issues and weight loss and generally feeling a bit rubbish. I rang for the results and was told that two had come back unsatisfactory. I asked which two and after some discussion the receptionist reluctantly said the liver function test and the CBC and she suggested I google it! I managed to get a telephone appointment with my dr on Tuesday (after much persistance and making her look at my noted to see that he had requested an appointment was made) but in the meantime I am feeling quite anxious. I was expecting to be anaemic so Im hoping that is what the CBC refers to but that is obviously not very specific, so it could be anything.

I'm trying to keep calm and tell myself if they were that bad they would have rung me directly?

Does anyone know what the CBC and liver function could indicate?

Sparrow

Re: Unsatisfactory blood tests
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 01:01:14 PM »

Hi Shropshirelass,

This is just what you didn't need isn't it  ::)

I can't really help with the specifics but given that you are on a new strong medication, and have had courses of ABs, that might will explain you blood tests.  The liver is a bit like a doorkeeper and it's probably a bit stressed  at the moment.

Take care
Shadyglade

Iris67

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 01:37:20 PM »

You have a legal right to your health records (assuming you are in the UK) and she should not have been 'reluctant ' to give you the results of your bloods. She should have given you the numbers and the reference ranges so you could look them up in a way to get some meaning.

There are several liver function tests and a CBC is a group of bloods (complete blood count) so it would be useful to know which one is abnormal.

marge

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 02:54:52 PM »

Sorry to hear of your worries; l’d be the same. Whenever l have blood tests, l get a readout of the results from the surgery and go through them myself with the help of Google. Ask for a readout, you’re entitled to it. Hope all is ok

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 03:53:58 PM »

Hi there,isn't cbc indicating anaemia? Have you a good diet? Abnormal Liver function tests  could mean there's too much fat or salt in your diet,or even if you've had more than normal paracetamol,please try not worry too much just now,we hear the word " unsatisfactory " and think the worst,you could go back a month later and the test could be fine but please do let us know how you get on x

groundhog

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 10:58:15 PM »

Hi Shropshirelass,
Since my surgery went very wrong, my bloods are rarely normal.  I remember once my liver function was so bad I couldn’t have a paracetomol, the next week it was back to normal.  That was related to a gallstone. My nephew, just last week had abnormal FBC ( or CBC - full/ complete blood count ).  We worried sick , he’s just had them redone ( twice) and all normal. 
Blood test results can vary , there can be so many reasons.  Please don’t go to the worst case scenario as there may be a simple reason or whatever it was the next time it will be normal.

Hope you get peace of mind when you speak to your doctor x