Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: New to HRT patches  (Read 2494 times)

Jane Fox

• First Flush
New to HRT patches
« on: February 10, 2021, 11:03:31 PM »

Hi all. I’m due to get HRT patches tomorrow but keep thinking about the risks. When talking to my doctor all she kept going on about is the risks and am I aware of the risks which is now put me in two minds whether to use the patches , I wonder if I should have tried the gel and tablet first . I’m nearly 55 and haven’t had a period for about 4 years . Can you please give me any advice

Taz2

Re: New to HRT patches
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 12:10:41 AM »

Hi Jane. We understand your worries about this and most of us have dithered about actually sticking that first patch on or taking the first pill or using the first dab of gel so don't feel that you are unusual in this. Your GP does have to outline the risks to you but the benefits of oestrogen are much better understood nowadays. This is from the menu at the top of the page under Treatments

"https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/balance.php

As you will see under the age of 60 the benefits outweigh any risks. Quality of life is so important. I put up with my awful symptoms for around three years before "giving in" as I saw it then at the age of 53 and starting patch HRT. That was thirteen years ago and I have never looked back. My life improved within forty eight hours and I was once again able to do my job without drenching hot sweats interrupting it. Patch HRT is a good place to start (in my opinion) but the important thing is that it takes at least three months before you will know whether this is the right type for you. You do need to give each one that long. We are all here to answer any questions or fears you may have.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Jane Fox

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 08:13:59 AM »

Thank you for your response, I really needed to hear from ladies who have experienced similar so much appreciated , thank you

shrosphirelass

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 07:55:41 PM »

I was very hesitant about starting patches but as I felt so ill I did begin. I started on half a patch as advised by the menopause clinic and gradually increased to a whole patch over 3 months. I'm really glad I did as it made me feel much better.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 12:50:33 PM by shrosphirelass »

CandaceJ

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 10:50:20 PM »

I'm on 75mcg Estradot and still having symptoms (night sweats, insomnia, etc). Have asked OB/gyn to increase to 100mcg.

Previously was on 4 pumps Estrogel and even that wasn't working.

I am skeptical if 100mcg Estradot is going to work.

What are my other options?

Nas

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 02:52:05 PM »

I’m the same Candace, 75 isn’t cutting it and was previously on 4 pumps of gel. No idea what the next step is !

CandaceJ

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 09:19:12 PM »

I've been advised to give each regimen at least 6 weeks to 2 months to see if the regimen works or not. So I'm only on week 1 so far. If this doesn't work, I may ask OB for micronized estrogen tablet; it's possible I don't absorb transdermal very well!

I'll see how I feel in 4 weeks.  :o

CandaceJ

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 09:21:20 PM »

PS Forgot to add that my OB increased my Estradot patch from 75mcg to 100mcg last Sunday. So will stay on that for another 5 weeks or so to see if it works.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 07:38:40 AM »

Hi Candace. The usual advice is that you need to try each HRT for three months before you can tell if it's working for you so don't feel too despondent if you are not feeling the benefit yet

Taz  :)

CandaceJ

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 04:27:39 PM »

Thank you Taz! I am finally not having night sweats anymore (hooray!!) on the 100mcg Estradot.

I am hopeful that after many months, I am finally on the right dosage. But as you say, I need to be patient and wait to see. Fingers crossed.