Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Early bleeding - should I continue the Utrogestan?  (Read 1088 times)

juwi

Early bleeding - should I continue the Utrogestan?
« on: February 07, 2021, 10:41:04 AM »

Beginner's question. For those of you on cyclical HRT (daily oestrogen and utrogestan for 12 days) - when does your monthly bleed start? I'm on day 18 of my cycle and have started bleeding. Prior to HRT, my periods were pretty regular at around 26 days. For reference, I’m on a 50 estradot patch. Is this normal - do I finish taking the utrogestan dose?

Hurdity

Re: Early bleeding - should I continue the Utrogestan?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 08:48:45 AM »

Hi Juwi - your post got missed. When you're peri-menopausal then your natural cycle by definition will vary from month to month although may go through more regular times . Since HRT generally does not suppress the cycle ( certainly not 50 mcg patch anyway) then your period may well  come at the "wrong" time. Depending on how long you've been on HRT, if your periods were regular then you were not peri-menopausal by the strict medical definition (which goes on cycle length combined with age and symptoms + sometimes FSH tests depending on circumstances).

It is always advisable to finish the course of utrogestan to help prevent excessive build up of the womb lining although if you are ovulating naturally then you will be producing your own progesterone. You won't know this though.

If after a few months your bleed is consistently coming before you finish the progesterone course then you can tweak your HRT and when you take the progesterone - but this may only be temporary while you are still peri and your cycle is unpredictable.

When you are post-menopausal then the bleeding normally starts at the end of the prog phase or just after starting back on oestrogen only. Sometimes eary bleeding indicates that the prog dose is insufficient but in early peri as I imagine you are - this is unlikely I would have thought?

As always if you are worried eg that the bleeding is abnormal, excessive or painful then consult your doctor.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Gnatty

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 08:56:17 AM »

Is it possible then to suppress your monthly cycle with a higher dose of oestrogen?

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 09:07:41 AM »

Yes. Very high doses of oestrogen can suppress the cycle.

Hurdity x

Marchlove

Breast cancer and hrt
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 02:12:48 PM »

Hi All
I have read some posts here regarding breast cancer and the difficult  decision as to then discontinue hrt.
I have been reading papers (many peer reviewed) by Rebecca Glaser in the states about the use of testosterone implants plus aromatase inhibitors in breast cancer survivors and the amazing menopause symptom benefits and continuation rates. The survival rates are also very positive.
Her papers are all available online and make interesting reading for people with and also without breast cancer.
She also has a website with many interesting articles.
I just wanted anyone who is in this situation to know there is this possible alternative way forward.
I think Nick Panay may be aware of this approach and may be able to assist if folk are not able to pay for a private clinic. But that is only a hunch on my part.
I showed one of her papers to my private Gynaecologist and he was very impressed!
I am not in this situation myself but just an avid researcher and wanted to share this. xx