Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: How do I know if my period is natural? Change from cyclical to continuous?  (Read 872 times)

Pinkmonkey

Hi, been on Estradiol and Utrogestan cyclical for just over a year. Up until then I was having irregular bleeds.
I'm due to have a review of my meds and I know the GP will ask whether I'm still having periods. Cyclical HRT forces a monthly bleed, so unsure how I answer the question?
Whilst it would be lovely to just take one tablet every day and not have to worry about taking more meds for 12 days every cycle, not to mention the cost of 2 prescriptions every 2 months & the actual bleed, I do worry about changing to a continuous med. I'm doing ok on my current meds, I'm 54, should I try and stay on cyclical or change to continuous?

shrosphirelass

As far as I know there is no way of telling. I started sequential HRT aged 56 and was still having fairly regular periods. Because of headaches I wanted to change to a continuous regime two years later and the dr said if I was not fully menopausal I would have breakthrough bleeding. I did change over and continuous suited me much better, but I have had alot of bleeding / spotting which could be down to this or the HRT or some other reason.

I know there are several women on here who continue to take HRT cyclically in their 60's, so I don't think there is a reason you need to change if your current regime suits you.

sheila99

Have you noticed a difference in your cycles? When I have a hrt induced bleed the symptoms are a fraction of the 'real' one and bleeding is a lot less, approx half the time there are no symptoms and no bleed. If your hrt bleeds feel the same as your own I don't think you can tell unless you stop hrt. You might consider a long cycle, perhaps 6 weeks.

Pinkmonkey

Have you noticed a difference in your cycles? When I have a hrt induced bleed the symptoms are a fraction of the 'real' one and bleeding is a lot less, approx half the time there are no symptoms and no bleed. If your hrt bleeds feel the same as your own I don't think you can tell unless you stop hrt. You might consider a long cycle, perhaps 6 weeks.
thanks, no difference really. I'll mention a longer cycle to the GP