Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Suddenly bleeding after a year and a half!  (Read 1561 times)

DEG

Suddenly bleeding after a year and a half!
« on: January 03, 2021, 10:02:56 PM »

Hi all. I saw my Gynie in August. Had bloods and scan. Bloods showed quite low. I take 3 pumps of estrogel. As no periods for over a year advised to take utrogestan every night and was prescribed VF (now twice a week). Still felt I had no energy so I upped estrogel to 3and a half pumps about a month or so ago (was told I could take 4). Started to suffer breast tenderness (prone to making cysts which need draining) so I dropped back down to 3 pumps about a week ago. Suddenly I’ve started bleeding and having cramping pains. Not heavy but more than spotting. Gynie suggested I should be scanned again. Due to take VF tonight presume I should still take but worried as to why I’m bleeding. I will book scan but has this happened to anyone else?  Many thanks

sheila99

Re: Suddenly bleeding after a year and a half!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 10:26:30 PM »

If it feels like a period I wouldn't get worried. Some people do have them more than a year after their last one. Any bleeding after a year should always be investigated but this is to be on the safe side.

DEG

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 10:41:47 PM »

Thank you for your reply.

KarineT

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 10:44:02 PM »

DEG, could HRT cause the bleeds?  I haven't had a period since January 2020 and I'm not on HRT. I do hope that my periods won't come back because when I had what I thought was my last period in January 2020, I wasn't 50 yet.  I reached 50 in October 2020. I'm not sure if age is relevant though.

Dandelion

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 10:54:02 PM »

Hi all. I saw my Gynie in August. Had bloods and scan. Bloods showed quite low. I take 3 pumps of estrogel. As no periods for over a year advised to take utrogestan every night and was prescribed VF (now twice a week). Still felt I had no energy so I upped estrogel to 3and a half pumps about a month or so ago (was told I could take 4). Started to suffer breast tenderness (prone to making cysts which need draining) so I dropped back down to 3 pumps about a week ago. Suddenly I’ve started bleeding and having cramping pains. Not heavy but more than spotting. Gynie suggested I should be scanned again. Due to take VF tonight presume I should still take but worried as to why I’m bleeding. I will book scan but has this happened to anyone else?  Many thanks
Hello fellow bleeder.
I never had bloods, what were your bloods low in?
I should take 3 pumps, but I bleed so I reduced it to two (Dr knows) and I sometimes get sweat running down my boobs in bed, better than bleeding though.
Yeah breast tenderness is a pain, periods (I know our bleeds aren't really periods) but I find my breasts always feel different so I cannot self check them as they feel lumpy in different places.
Odd? My GP reduced my oestrogen to tackle the bleeding, it did work for a bit but the bleeding came back, bleeding is getting worse. Gotta stick it though as valium means I cant change utro dose due to cross tolerance.
I'd have thought more oestrogen would cause more bleeding, as it opposes progesterone.
Dr Currie told me the cramping pains are the womb making blood, I got them until a few days ago but they have gone now.
My cycle is weird, I shouldn't even be getting a cycle, daily bleeding with a few days off, current bleed is 17 days heavy also. No fibrous or cancer, had scan, cant explain bleeding.
I would book scan, I hope sharing my experience is helpful, and I would tell your GP that decreasing the oestrogen is causing the bleeding.

DEG

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 11:39:04 PM »

My bloods were to see my estrogen levels. I thinks it’s the Vagifem that’s causing the bleeding. I’ve now been on it 4amd a half months. Just inserted tonight’s dose and cramping is now bad

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 08:25:57 AM »

The dose of oestrogen in Vagifem shouldn't induce bleeding so I would still carry on with it as you don't want worsening VA if you can avoid it.

Have you only been on continuous HRT since August as bleeding during the first six months is common? I think that another scan is a good idea to see how thick your uterine lining is and also to check for polyps or fibroids.

I've never had my oestrogen levels checked and have been on HRT for 13 years. I do hope the cramping eases soon. Nurofen and a hot water bottle helps hopefully?

Taz x  :hug:

Dandelion

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 02:30:06 PM »

The dose of oestrogen in Vagifem shouldn't induce bleeding so I would still carry on with it as you don't want worsening VA if you can avoid it.

Have you only been on continuous HRT since August as bleeding during the first six months is common? I think that another scan is a good idea to see how thick your uterine lining is and also to check for polyps or fibroids.

I've never had my oestrogen levels checked and have been on HRT for 13 years. I do hope the cramping eases soon. Nurofen and a hot water bottle helps hopefully?

Taz x  :hug:
I agree with Taz2, I had a second scan and all was well, bleeding still continued. In fact this last bout looks as if it is stopping, after 18 days of it mind you, just a bit of brown today, thank God.
I was reassured from my second scan showing normal lining.
The cramps are the womb making blood.
I don't know about vagifem or VA however not come across ladies saying it makes them bleed.
My Gynaecologist can't pinpoint the bleed causes but it is well worth the reassurance of a second one, just to rule out anything sinister.

Dougalina

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 03:55:16 PM »

Hi DEG

Im on oestrogel & utrogestan conti.  Anytime I change my dose, I get a bleed, I am very sensitive to fluctuations.  Ive had scans and a hysteroscopy in the past, and everything was as it should be.  My menopause Dr (Newsons clinic) said that it happens to some women, and not to worry.

Its as well to get things checked out, but the chances are , its just because you've changed dose a couple of times, and it will settle down

Best wishes

Dougalina

skkb

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 10:19:27 AM »

Taz2 are you on a continuous HRT and if so which one and how much (dose) I’d be interested to know as after my hysteroscopy I may change mine. Thanks

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 10:21:07 PM »

I'm not on continuous HRT now as I had to have a hysterectomy for prolapse so no longer need progesterone. I was on FemSeven conti but found conti HRT gave me continuous bleeding and after six months I went back on to FemSeven Sequi. I was 56 at the time.

Taz x