Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Vitamins with omeprazole  (Read 19600 times)

Jules

Vitamins with omeprazole
« on: March 17, 2024, 10:33:09 AM »

Im taking some vitamin supplements with my daily omeprazole but someone has mentioned certain things affect omeprazole or shouldn't be taken with it. Theres contradictory information on the internet. Does anybody else take these daily? I take vit C, D, B complex, calcium

SarahT

Re: Vitamins with omeprazole
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 11:27:14 AM »

Hi Jules,

I am also on omeprazole,  and a gp recommendation,  I take vitamin d and b12 to keep them  at an optimum. She gave me no indication these would interfere.
I also am on prescribed iron twice a day, and evening primrose oil. Oh,and flax seed oil, all with her knowledge.

I am careful to separate all my prescribed drugs separately. i.e I take the omeprazole at lunchtime, the collection of vitamins around 5pm

I also have to space out thyroid, and 3 lots of  arthritis medication and painkillers!  I hope one day to be able to get off some of these in time, but sadly all are necessary right now.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 12:55:33 PM »

Vitamins are naturally in our bodies, the 'omeprazole' is the incomer.

greenECLECtus28

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 01:15:55 PM »

I have been taking Omeprazole for many years and am not aware or read of any issues with any vitamins that can affect it and I take Vit C the B vitamins and Vitamin D especially in the winter there is nothing mentioned in the leaflet that comes with it about vitamins either, the only non prescribed medicine that is mentioned as affecting it is St John’s Wort.

Ayesha

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 01:21:29 PM »

Vitamins are naturally in our bodies, the 'omeprazole' is the incomer.
They may be naturally in our bodies but with aging we don't all absorb them and need to supplement, I think that is important to say!

I also take Omeprazole and because of that I take VitD, Zinc, B12 and a probiotic.

Jules

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024, 07:56:47 PM »

Okay thankyou. I saw something about vitamin C but also i have glucosamine and it has turmeric in and someone told me turmeric doesn't mix well with omeprazole.  But you've made me aware that I down all my stuff at breakfast so I will space it out in future.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 09:57:51 PM »

I'm not sure if you've tried it, but there's a website that checks interactions which I use. I'm not sure if I can name it or put the link on here.

I also ring up a pharmacist, they have some sort of interaction checker too.

Jules

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2024, 09:58:59 PM »

I'm not sure if you've tried it, but there's a website that checks interactions which I use. I'm not sure if I can name it or put the link on here.

I also ring up a pharmacist, they have some sort of interaction checker too.

I will check with the pharmacist.

Tulip256

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2024, 02:04:37 PM »

I think the problem with vit c is that it can aggrevate reflux.

Having said that it is important to take vitamins if you are on a ppi as the low acid environment stops their absorption from food.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2024, 03:12:09 PM »

Thus far I've not been told that Tulip256 - Dr James Le Fanu who writes in the Monday Telegraph doesn't agree with long term use of PPIs; however: when I had to stop last year, the reflux was dreadful.  I've restarted and feel much better although last night I woke with that pain between my rib cage - probably due to the supper of newly baked bread?  A few quick sips of fizzy bottled water eases it.

I take VitD otherwise we eat a healthy diet in the main.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 03:35:45 PM by CLKD »

Penguin

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2024, 03:29:57 PM »

I think vitamin c in the form of ascorbic acid can be irritating to the stomach lining but the buffered forms like ester c or, even better, liposomal c, are much gentler and less likely to cause digestive issues.

My brief foray of research re ppi use when I had gastritis indicated that long term they can lower certain vitamins like vitamin c, b12, calcium and iron so some are good to supplement particularly vitamin c and b12. I don't take any vitamins on an empty stomach though, quick recipe for indigestion in my case!

Ayesha

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2024, 10:55:02 AM »

The one thing that irritates me is when people come out and say you shouldn't take PPI's for the long term, some of us have no choice. Therefore, its up to us to do our own research to protect ourselves from the possible side effects because one thing is for sure, GP's won't tell you as they prepare your prescription.

You may have a very healthy diet but that won't protect you as you age and are taking PPI's or other meds. I never took a supplement in my life before but time caught up with me and now take quite a few.