Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Re-wilding across the UK  (Read 1334 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re-wilding across the UK
« on: January 12, 2022, 12:54:00 PM »

I have very mixed feelings about reintroducing beavers, lynx, pumas etc..  Wild boar that have escaped from farms are causing problems in some regions. 

The countryside is far different now than when these beasts roamed freely.  It's hard enough for hedgehogs, badgers, red squirrels to survive with all the concrete etc. being put down daily.   :'(

As for the large reptile bones found in Rutland Water - hopefully no one will consider reintroducing something that size  ;D

It seems that nowt is protected if the government of the day wants to put a railway line through the countryside.  Regardless.   >:(

jaypo

Re: Re-wilding across the UK
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 01:03:03 PM »

Not sure if I agree either,these animals were and will be persecuted,the dwindled out for a reason,there was talk of introducing wolves back into Scotland,yep,what a brilliant idea........NOT! Not long back they introduced hedgehogs to the western isles,then said hedgehogs went on to eat all the ground laying birds eggs,so they culled/killed the hedgies,man should LEAVE WELL ALONE,it always ends in disaster (mostly)

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 03:02:35 PM »

Yep.  Too built up these days! 

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 05:00:24 PM »

We have an urban government run by Princess Nut Nuts who haven't a clue about rural life (along with most other things). If they want to introduce them in London first I'm all for it (particularly the wolves and big cats). Once we know they can live there without eating pets and babies then they can think of placing them in the countryside.
They're likely to come with a protection order (like beavers and badgers) and of course will multiply and move into farmland and rural communities.

I'd like to know what they think we're going to eat when they've built houses on all the best farmland and planted trees on the rest of it. The energy crisis should be a wakeup call - look what happens when we offshore our energy supplies. We saw the toilet roll wars when there was a perfectly adequate supply. Imagine what's going to happen when there's a genuine shortage of food.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 06:19:35 PM »

The next War is likely to be over the shortage of water.

Good idea to put the wild animals in London: perhaps we should open the gates of the Zoo  ???   ......... I'm afraid that protected animals don't have a force field around them, I've spent a lot on our garden and refuse to allow it to be trashed.  Unfortunately, due to new buildings a quarter of a mile from us on woodland, critters are moving closer so I fear for our hedgehogs :-(((.    :'(

What annoys me too is all the phaff about protected newts etc., in that people licensed are allowed to handle them; but HS2 goes through as do other large building estates.  Apparently the newts etc. are moved ........... call my a cynic, most do  :-\

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 10:10:16 PM »

It's like all the environmental stuff. We can use electric cars and they'll ban gas boilers to save the environment. Oh, but you can continue flying as much as you like and destroy whatever you like to build HS2.
I haven't seen a hedgehog in years but we are overrun with badgers. Who thought it was a good idea to ban control of an animal with no natural predator? I'd hate to go back to how it was when you never saw a badger but I don't see why hedgehogs should annihilated because of them.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 09:07:08 AM »

Well said.  Most of these 'ideas' are from people who live in Cities ........... trying to appease Europe?

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 04:13:57 PM »

Ha,nicely put Sheila