Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Freezing mincemeat  (Read 1682 times)

Florrie2

Freezing mincemeat
« on: January 08, 2022, 01:11:46 PM »

I have a leftover unopened jar of Waitrose mincemeat. It says best before end of October 2022.
I’m sure it will be fine in December if I chuck in a bit of alcohol - or should I freeze it in portions?

Aprilflower

Re: Freezing mincemeat
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 01:15:28 PM »

If it unopened I'm sure it will be fine to keep as it is.

I always have a jar leftover, but I make an apple pie and add the jar instead of sugar.  Makes a really tasty pudding.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 01:16:58 PM »

It will keep for years.  Keep the lid sealed until you require it. it will be vacuume sealed.  It's a form of preservation of fruits after all. Use by dates should be banned, it's causing millions of tonnes of food waste and is a way of keeping supearmekt shelves empty.  However - we are eyeing up the C.mas pudding dated 2017  ;D wondering. 

Aprilflower

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 01:26:13 PM »

Forgot to add, make a great apple and mincemeat crumble too.

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 01:41:03 PM »

Mince pies aren’t just for Christmas!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 02:07:58 PM »

Oh yes they are  ;D

Florrie2

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 04:22:56 PM »

Brilliant thank you all. I also thought it would keep for ages but hubby made me question it.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 05:38:04 PM »

Don't look at the use by date ;-).  (still wondering about our out-dated C.mas pud  ;D)

Grandma would make mincemeat in Sept. for C.mas the following year.  I was sent to the butcher and didn't know which mincemeat I was supposed to buy  :-\ so I went back to ask.  'minced meat' as in beef or 'mincemeat' for cooking  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 08:07:01 PM »

Nowt to do with safety  ::) it's a marketing ploy.  If tins left by Shakleton are still OK to eat: if a tin blows that's different.  Canning is the best way of preserving food, quickly.  Fast food B4 it was even discovered ;-).

I've kept food in the freezer for years and it hasn't deteriorated ........ despite what the warnings might be.  We sometimes do a 'freezer bottom' cook  :D.  Making meals out of odds and sods found at the very bottom.  Hidden.

We used our sense of smell and the colour of foodstuffs long B4 freezers.  Mum used to store full fat milk in a bucket of cold water in the Summer stood in the shade.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 08:58:25 PM »

It will be fine, don’t worry.

You could always make a mincemeat tart and custard.My family love that.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 09:13:26 PM »

I rarely look at the dates although I did throw a few soups onto our compost that I brought back from Mum's  ::).  There was a cupboard under the stairs that held tins - from which she could make a meals should anyone appear on the doorstep unexpectedly. 

>hands over plate< for the custard ;-)

Florrie2

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2022, 06:47:03 PM »

I don’t worry too much about Best Before dates and often stick things in the freezer just before the use by date. I think it was that it would be a couple of months past best before - but as I said, I’ll just chuck in the sherry if it is a bit dry.

There’s only 2 of us so mincemeat tart with 410g of mincemeat would take a while to eat  ;D although does sound nice..

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2022, 07:05:08 PM »

Half will freeze  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2022, 07:09:33 PM »

Supermarket Morrisons is to scrap 'use by' dates on most of its milk in a move it says will stop millions of pints being poured down the sink.

The retailer will instead place 'best before' on 90% of its own-brand milk and encourage customers to use a sniff test to check quality.

Recycling charity Wrap said Morrisons was the first supermarket to make the move, which starts later this month.

Ian Goode, senior milk buyer at Morrisons, said it was a "bold step".

Milk is the third most wasted food and drink product in the UK, after potatoes and bread, with around 490 million pints wasted every year, according to Wrap.

It also estimates 85 million pints of milk waste may be due to customers following 'use by' labels, despite research showing it can be used days after the date.