Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Night sweats  (Read 735 times)

Debsi

• First Flush
Night sweats
« on: October 23, 2020, 02:00:42 PM »

Hi
I am new here but just need some advice.
I am 48 and had a total abdominal hysterectomy with ovaries and tubes removed 14 months ago for multiple fibroids. Surprisingly I had absolutely no menopause symptoms and have felt great since the surgery.
About  6 weeks ago I started to have the most extreme night sweats, and occasional day sweats, I have never sweat even during exercise before so this is all very new.
I am feeling quite emotional, although not particularly stressed but do not feel quite myself.
I have also lost about 15 kg in three months. I hadn’t really noticed how much until my clothes got too big so  I weighed myself recently.
Anyway before I speak with the Gp I just wondered if anyone else has had a delayed response of over a year to the surgical menopause?
Thank you

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Night sweats
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 02:10:29 PM »

There may have been enough ovary left to keep oestrogen levels even.  Eventually they may shrivel = the symptoms you are experiencing.

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.   :welcomemm:  mayB decide which symptom you would like to ease the put it into the search box on the Forum. Make notes ;-)

I'm surprised that you were given advice prior to surgery  >:( there's such a lack of care and continuation these days  :'(

Debsi

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 04:37:04 PM »

Thank you so much for your reply, and the reassurance.  I guess I am just shocked that I have gone from nothing at all to literally being drenched several times a night.
I’ll keep that diary and see how things go

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 05:03:27 PM »

It's a shock for many of us.  We think of end of periods and perhaps the odd hot flush - read our vaginal atrophy and bladder threads too!

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 08:02:16 PM »

Hi Debsi. It's good that you are speaking to your GP about this as we should never put new symptoms down to menopause.

Night sweats and weight loss with irritability and low mood can be a sign of thyroid problems - overactive rather than underactive - and a blood test will show this up.  You can also experience night sweats if you have a low-grade infection which shows no other symptom.

Some women take quite a while to react to love levels of oestrogen so you may "just" be experiencing the first stages of menopause and once anything else is ruled out then HRT is something you may wish to consider.

There is lots of information on here plus friendship, humour and always someone to just listen to you and give an encouraging word or suggestion.

Taz x  :welcomemm: