Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Urethral Caruncle  (Read 2472 times)

Lancashire Lass

• First Flush
Urethral Caruncle
« on: September 12, 2020, 02:52:27 PM »

Hi, this is my first post although I have been following the forum for a while.

In October last year I was diagnosed with a urethral caruncle and prescribed estradiol pessaries, daily for 2 weeks then twice a week on going. There was little improvement in the severe discomfort I had and in March this year my GP advised me to increase the pessaries to daily again for a week. The pain gradually eased and by late June this year I was finally pain free.

Over recent weeks I have been experiencing increasing discomfort and soreness again and my GP has advised me to increase the pessaries to daily again for two weeks and then return to twice weekly. I was very disappointed that the discomfort returned and wondered id anyone else has experienced this. Any information or advice will be appreciated.

Whatsupwiththis

Re: Urethral Caruncle
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 03:35:31 PM »

Hi and welcome.  Yes this is quite normal.  For some, ladies need daily and for others alternate days.  I need 5 days a week (vagifem) and Estragyn cream (estrone).  It really is what keeps symptoms at bay and even then, flare ups are common.  I sometimes need a 2 week reloading period (every night) every 8 months or so. 

Hope this helps.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 04:00:46 PM »

I had to look it up  :-\

A urethral caruncle is a benign fleshy outgrowth of the posterior urethral meatus. It is the most common lesion of the female urethra and occurs primarily in postmenopausal women. The lesion is typically asymptomatic, although some women present with vaginal bleeding.1 May 2020

It sounds painful!  Regular use of localised oestrogen i.e. 'vagifem' or 'ovestin' internally as well as if necessary, a little 'ovestin' on the outer labia.  Does taking pain relief help?

:welcomemm:  do read the bladder and vaginal atrophy threads; make notes ;-)

Lancashire Lass

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 10:32:27 AM »

Many thanks for the replies to my query yesterday. They were very helpful and much appreciated, especially the reply that said a flare up of symptoms is not uncommon. While that was disappointing to learn, it was good to know that a recurrence can be expected.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 02:22:33 PM »

If the pessaries work, stick with them.  Trial and Error is so tiring.!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 11:20:51 AM »

Bounced