Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Struggling with Face Masks  (Read 4842 times)

holidaylover

Re: Struggling with Face Masks
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2020, 08:13:18 AM »

Dorothy, now that it's getting colder you will more than likely need a big cosy scarf anyway if your visiting a garden.  Pulling that up over your nose whilst visiting the loo would suffice, as long as it's a 'face covering' it doesn't need to be a mask.  I think personally that would look more 'normal' during the winter months.  It's the 'un normalness' of the look of masks that freaks me out.  Enjoy your day out.

Dorothy

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2020, 12:34:15 PM »

We had a lovely walk at the weekend - and I did need the loo!!!

The gaitor is stretchy, so it stays up quite well for short periods, and I was ok breathing in it as long as I moved slowly.  It's much too thin to count as a 'proper' mask, but since I hardly ever go anywhere, I think my chances of being infectious are pretty minimal, and as my GP says, a thin face covering is better than no face covering at all.  And it 'looks' ok, so hopefully will stop me getting yelled at for not wearing a face covering!

@holidaylover, I've seen some gaitors that have little elastic loops at the top to fit over the ears - you could maybe try adding loops to yours?

holidaylover

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2020, 09:29:33 AM »

Dorothy, glad you had a good day. I've just given up now, and realise that until masks are a thing of the past, I'll have to stay at home. Maybe they never will be, what a thought!  But it's just the whole covering my face I cant deal with and seeing others with them on.  It's the look thats making me panic.  Hubby brought a lot of 'wrong' things home with the weekly shop last night and I had a right strop.  I felt really bad afterwards as I know he was doing his best. Spent the night blubbing and feeling sorry for myself, which is pathetic. It just makes me feel so hopeless and reliant on others, which I dont like.  I feel my independence has been taken away. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2020, 10:29:02 AM »

This too will pass holidaylover.  A neighbour popped round earlier with a mask like a tiger's face  ::).   There are some to buy with Festive holly etc. printed on, am I tempted: you bet  ;D.  I like the idea of those where 1 can see the lips ..........

For those who don't wear a mask then turning away from others is sufficient. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2020, 10:51:51 AM »

I walk near to shop windows so that if approached too closely, I can turn my face away.  Otherwise we are lucky to have access to open spaces and when timed 'right', we never see a soul.  Do you have a garden holidaylover?

holidaylover

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2020, 11:03:01 AM »

Teresa, yes I walk everyday, we have a dog.  But its all becoming so monotonous.  Apart from that I feel like I'm a prisoner in my own home.  It feels a bit like I'm in a goldfish bowl looking out.  Where I live it's just like normal, folks popping to the shops everyday, off out for coffees and bar lunches, and yet I still I hear them moan about things.  I see people standing talking and laughing in the street, (no social distancing may I add) and I so want to be able to do that again too.  I'm starting to feel jealous of other people and its not a nice feeling, its just not like me.  I feel like everyone is so acceptable of the situation now and I realise that its just common practice to pop a wee bit fabric on and get on with things.  Ive never been in a coffee shop or restuarant since Febraury and not been in a shop since July, and I think I would be scared to now.  And yes I do feel very low.

holidaylover

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2020, 11:04:15 AM »

CLKD, yes we have a garden, back and front but not really one I can wander in!

Dorothy

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2020, 03:24:39 PM »

@holidaylover, could you do online shopping?  Even if you can't get a slot every week, maybe having an occasional online shop where you can choose what you want instead of relying on a family member might help?

Also, do you drive or does your OH drive?  I've taken to going with my husband sometimes when he's shopping and waiting in the car.  We had to stop off unexpectedly for something once when I was with him, and I felt quite overwhelmed by the sheer number of people & cars, which is why I've taken to going with him deliberately - I realised I was getting SO isolated that I was struggling with even seeing people at a distance!

I think many of us will find resuming normal life difficult when the time comes.  I read a very helpful article about this at the end of the first lockdown.  It was talking about the importance of little steps.  So, for example, with shops, the first step might be walking past, the second might be walking in and out again, then you walk around a little more, then you go in to buy one item...and by gradually building it up, eventually you reach the point where you can just do your food shop as normal. The emphasis was on little steps that were achieveable, so that you don't try to do too much at once, be unable to cope and then feel terrible for 'failing'.  You will get there - hopefully just a few more months to go.

holidaylover

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2020, 04:19:05 PM »

Dorothy thanks, yes I do shop online for lots of other things, just not the food shop.  Actually my husband says he enjoys doing it, he's very good at adding things for himself that otherwise I probably would not have bought! Who knew anyone still likes PEK?!  I do sometimes sit in the car whilst he nips in for something we need, but he's such a chatterbox and always seems to meet someone he knows so I end up sitting for ages.  I'm quite enjoying my boxes of 'stuff' arriving from Amazon and the likes.  I can never remember what I've ordered so it's a bit like Christmas. I do agree though that there will be lots of folks that will find it hard to get back to normal, whatever that may be. Will we believe its safe to go out even if we are all vaccinated?  It will certainly be small steps for many.
Pages: 1 2 [3]