Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A cashless society?  (Read 3866 times)

Taz2

Re: A cashless society?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2020, 03:52:10 PM »

I've got a cheque book but only to pay the milkman but he's gone online/phone payments now so I probably won't need it!

Taz x

sheila99

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2020, 03:55:07 PM »

I work on a use it or lose it policy. The banks have already tried to stop cheques and the government have said they'd like a cashless society so I make sure I keep using both. We have only one bank left within 8 miles, that will go too if people don't use it. Many old people can't cope without them and it won't be long before we're that generation.

Taz2

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2020, 04:15:11 PM »

I don't know what else I can use it for?  :-\

Taz x

Sparrow

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2020, 04:23:43 PM »

Many retailers no longer take cheques.  They are open to fraud and getting lost.

Any large amounts I aways pay with online banking.  It's fast and you know exactly which bank account you are paying into.  You can also chose which date the money leaves your account.

Progress is inevitable .  Otherwise we would still be bartering with beans and piglets.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 04:26:01 PM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2020, 04:29:50 PM »

Give me a piglet any time  ;D

I pay Mum's paper bill with a cheque
Until 12 months ago I paid my nephews by cheque but then Royal Mail lost one - twice  >:( - now DH does a bank transfer thingy

He pays with a swipe debit card ........... but that can be stolen and swiped often until stopped

I pay cash in the village shop and card/sweet shop in the town
I pay case in the supermarket
I pay cash to antique dealers
Cheque payment at the Vet when necessary

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2020, 04:43:16 PM »

My supermarket bill is usually £150 plus and I'd hate to have that much cash on me nowadays. The pub is one place where I had to pay cash as it was a 'no cards' pub. The landlord has had to install a card machine now as, since covid, he's lost trade due to people not wanting to handle cash.

If I swipe my contactless card three times in a short time I'm asked to enter my pin for the fourth purchase. This stops fraudulent use quite quickly.

Taz x

sheila99

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2020, 04:49:59 PM »

Any large amounts I aways pay with online banking.  It's fast and you know exactly which bank account you are paying into.
Er... no. Get one digit wrong and you've paid the wrong person and may or may not be able to get it back. OK so after many years they will finally confirm the name on the account but the only time I've tried it didn't match and it didn't tell what name it was so I couldn't check. Limit of £30,000 from my bank so no good for anything properly big.

My bank told me it could be up to 10 times before it asks for the pin for a contactless card so you could lose up to £450 if you haven't reported the card lost or stolen.

Sparrow

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2020, 04:54:14 PM »

Cut and paste, then there is no mistake.

Katejo

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2020, 05:01:12 PM »

Any large amounts I aways pay with online banking.  It's fast and you know exactly which bank account you are paying into.
Er... no. Get one digit wrong and you've paid the wrong person and may or may not be able to get it back. OK so after many years they will finally confirm the name on the account but the only time I've tried it didn't match and it didn't tell what name it was so I couldn't check. Limit of £30,000 from my bank so no good for anything properly big.

My bank told me it could be up to 10 times before it asks for the pin for a contactless card so you could lose up to £450 if you haven't reported the card lost or stolen.
   If I am paying a large amount to a new recipient, I always pay a tiny amount first (£5) and then contact them by other means such as email or phone to check that they have received it before I send the rest.

I use very little cash but I did pay for a coffee with cash today because it is a cafe which I use regularly and they still prefer cash for payments under £5 due to fees on card transactions.

The problem with being totally cashless comes when the bank software fails and suddenly no one can make a payment. Sweden has gone too far that way. I heard that Gothenburg (which I once visited) now has public toilets only accessible with a contactless card.

I don't think it is as many as 10 times before I am required to enter my PIN again with contactless.

Sparrow

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2020, 05:39:23 PM »

I think loos should be free anyway.

You can get caught not having change as well.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2020, 07:03:04 PM »

One has had to pay in Europe for years.  A lady sits at the entrance of the toilets and glares until you hand over a little more than what is asked for  >:(

I know many people over 70 who don't want a card for their weekly shop  :-\.  I still don't trust cards.

I can't find any evidence that anyone has been contaminated with C-19 by using cash.

jaypo

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2020, 08:06:49 AM »

I doubt that they have clkd,especially if you wash/sanitize your hands after handling. I've no issues with cards at all but I really hate using them for piddling amounts. Our business would be lost without online banking

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2020, 09:21:40 AM »

I don't get that close to anyone when shopping  :-\ .......... I do have a pair of granny pick up tongs , mayB should carry those ?

littleminnie

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2020, 11:54:49 AM »

A watch  ;D ...... that wouldn't work 4 me as I have too much static and watches stop within 20 mins.  ::)

I think that people over all are getting blase and not using sanitiser often enough when up and about!

An Apple Watch would work.  Otherwise you’d be in the Guinness book of records

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2020, 11:56:08 AM »

Apple Watch = cider  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]