Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: VA - does every woman get it?  (Read 4408 times)

Maryjane

Re: VA - does every woman get it?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 09:11:29 PM »

BMS says 60% being considered an underestimation & stats by various medics say 70% as it's not all about soreness, it's the need to P a lot, repeat utis , bladder weakness etc as it's official name is ?genitourinary syndrome of menopause? & medics I have spoke to say that women in care often end up in care due to dementia & double incontinece & basically end up with nappy rash repeat UTIs are very common post menopause with a GP telling a patient it's at epidemic state, & the biggest problem is women shut up & put up about the issue with an estimated 7-10% only seeking help or discussing it & when GPs dig enough with the correct questions then women who said they didn't have a problem actually did, smear tests are also at the lowest amongst menopausal women as pain is a big barrier, I have heard a few medics talk now & it is a big problem , sex becomes painful women stop having sex there pain goes so for them there isn't a problem that was there VA . No idea why there are ? marks everywhere in the post
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 09:14:10 PM by Maryjane »

Sparrow

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 09:18:41 PM »

That's great information, thanks.  However I like to learn from sources such as research papers, preferably peer reviewed.  If you have any links that would be great.  If not publication details, as I have a British Library readers card and can access them online.

Maryjane

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 09:19:05 PM »

Dr Newson posted this today & other medics do similar %

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CCDDv_kHtcG/?igshid=1o8adi4prmuss

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2020, 09:23:26 PM »

I was 68 when I was dx'ed.  Never had any problems beforehand.  I went through my puberty - no issues...went through my 30 something years - no issues....went through menopause - no issues and then BAM!  Urethra pain and discomfort along with UTI after UTI.  All women in meno have atrophy but many will never have problems.  Every female I know who is my age have zero issues and haven't got a clue when I tell them what happens.  I get the deer in headlights look BUT almost all of them have some form of incontinency whether stress from sneezing or bladder urgency.  Don't sweat it.  It's a natural progression and *if* you ever get VA, VVA or GSM there are very effective treatments.

Maryjane

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 09:23:46 PM »

Email her for peer reviewed papers as you have access, the 'standard? it's obviously a problem from this page the burning club & VA / bladder issues are the top discussions it would seem .

Sparrow

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2020, 09:37:14 PM »

I don't think I will email her for info as don't know her.  I may do a search online at the British Library myself, if I have time.

One curious thing.  I had urinary symptoms through peri, but none since.  How does that work??

Maryjane

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2020, 09:45:55 PM »

Her web page is accessible for women to email her, I have another GP I follow on twitter who put a post up saying the recent research she has seen says 80% but obviously this is from very mild barely notice to awful, the trigone area of the bladder also dries out & why we can become susceptible to UTIs the urethra also & who knows why & I hope it remains the case for you video up this thread I just posted is with Dr N stating 80% from research, it's also obviously I big problem from all the products for sale for itching, soreness & burning and why women self treat, the intimate health business is a mega money making industry world wide along with P pads which so call normalise it all 🙄

Sparrow

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2020, 09:57:42 PM »

I had surgery on a Bartholin Abscess, in my twenties.  The surgeon gave me some advice afterwards.  He said, only wear natural fibre underwear, don't use bio laundry products or softener, never wear tights or tight fitting jeans etc., and never use soap on the genital area.  I have followed this advice ever since.

I wonder if a lot of urinary problems in older women are caused by not following this sort of advice?

As I said the only blip was during peri which maybe was caused by fluctuating hormones.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:01:08 PM by Shadyglade »

Tc

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 10:24:13 PM »

Surgical menopause. VA.  I had no problems whatsoever up til 53. Ovaries removed and VA within 3 months.  Surgical menopause is brutal. All the things that come on slowly over years happen overnight. I was diagnosed with VA by a gynae 3 months after my oopherectomy.  If you have ovaries removed dont wait to see if you will get VA.  These figures about women who get it refer to natural menopause.  In surgical meno please take steps for vaginal health straight away. It is more likely than not I hate to have to say it but it's true. I wont bog down with links but if you look it up sadly it does seem to be more likely in surgical meno. And it can be severe more quickly.  I can provide links but  .  I also speak from experience. Xxx
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:48:32 PM by Tc »

Sparrow

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2020, 06:36:47 AM »

You are right Avalon, there is nothing exact about science.  However, in order to make personal decisions it's necessary to gather as much information as possible, and that does involve looking at the research.

Personally testimony is invaluable but it is just that, personal and won't apply to everyone.

Maryjane

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2020, 07:08:06 AM »

The more I am in this area the less peer reviewed papers mean to me I'm afraid across all boards, another video just put on Instagram by a GP saying 70% this am.

Sparrow

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2020, 07:14:18 AM »

But where did that 70% number come from.  I am thinking a research paper.

Sorry, I don't mean to come over as haranguing.  I'll leave it for now and do my own investigation,  when I get the chance.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2020, 07:42:49 AM »

Why query something that is out there in the public domain  :-\ ?

If you haven't suffered VA why don't you believe those of us that have done and I don't use the word  'suffer' lightly!  As for not using soap, it hasn't affected my vagina .  I bath with bubbles most evenings and use basic soap in the vaginal area.  Some do find that soap products aggravate the condition.

As for the word 'epidemic' - VA etc. are not something to be transmitted and caught  :-\ - apparently there's an 'epidemic' of diabetes across the UK .......... nope.  We need a specific word for 'lots of people have this enough to seek medical treatment'.

The ? issue is unsolved  ::).  I use a laptop, no problems.  Some using phones to join in find that they get ? instead of what they would like to print.

Sparrow

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2020, 07:48:07 AM »

Oh I forgot to say thanks again Maryjane.  This is a new subject for me and your information is very interesting and useful.

Lyncola

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2020, 09:15:25 AM »

I  had a hysterectomy and still kept my ovaries, within 4 months virginal atrophy. It was my first premenopausal problem. I was 44 years old I'm turning 46 this month and still struggling to get it under control. If you don't have virginal atrophy you are truely blessed and hopefully it will remain that way for you
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4