Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Sudden feeling of anxiety/panic  (Read 1417 times)

KarineT

Sudden feeling of anxiety/panic
« on: June 17, 2020, 12:06:06 PM »

I got up this morning feeling fine then took some red clover drop and about 20 minutes later I started feeling dizzy and panicky.  I didn't know what to do. I can't understand how I can feel fine one minute and not the next.  It's scary at times.  Anyone with a similar situation? I wonder if the red clover drops might have caused this.  I took it yesterday and felt fine so why should it be different today? I had a similar situation with some menopause supplements.  I took the supplements and I was fine initially. Then few days later I felt terrible.  If it's not this then it could be that my symptoms are worsening. Please help.

KarineT

Re: Sudden feeling of anxiety/panic
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 12:07:10 PM »

I forgot to mention that the panic feeling came on just after the dizziness.

KarineT

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 01:48:38 PM »

Now I am feeling lethargic and not in the mood to do anything in addition to what I experienced earlier.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 03:07:44 PM »

When did you last eat?  Low blood sugar is probably the main cause of this sudden panic attack.  4 me it starts as sudden nausea, weak thighs then calves then on the floor.

What are you taking red clover for  :-\ .......... eating little and often will do you better and keep hydrated.  Supper so that the body isn't lacking energy over night.  Don't get out of bed too quickly!

KarineT

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 03:39:21 PM »

I had an apple this morning.  What I felt this morning was a very uncomfortable as if I was losing control of myself.  It started with dizziness then this was follow by panic/anxiety.  I don't think it's food related.  I used to feel tense sometimes if I skipped a meal but never anxious.  It's ridiculous that hormonal fluctuation or a decline in oestrogen can do this.  It's almost as if our life depended on it.

KarineT

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 03:51:19 PM »

Red clover was recommended to by a gynaecologist to balance the hormones but I'm not sure if something in there made me react the way I did. I took it yesterday and I was fine.  I can't understand why it should be different this time.

KarineT

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 03:55:12 PM »

Thanks Indigo.  I hope that this nightmare will end soon.  I haven't had a period since January this and I do hope that this is the beginning of the end.

KarineT

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 03:57:55 PM »

I meant to say since January this year.  I, too, am not on HRT but I'm currently experimenting with herbal supplements to help me through this tough situation.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 06:27:19 PM »

Hi Karine. I think the panic/anxiety was brought on due to the dizziness. You felt a bit strange and unwell and before you even realised it your mind began to go into overdrive worrying over what had brought it on, what was going to happen next, what would happen if you fainted (especially if you were alone). These thoughts then activated your fight or flight response, releasing adrenaline, as your body tried to get you away from the panic. It's a vicious cycle as the more you begin to feel unwell due to the panic the more the panic is ramped up.

Simple breathing exercises are useful in getting you through this type of panic. I don't know whether you have any "go-to" ones at times like this?

Which herbal supplements are you trying and have you seen the Alternative Therapies thread. I think that's what it's called.

Sometimes there is no reason why we feel ok one day but not the next. Hormones have a lot to do with it of course but I've felt a bit "off" today due to the weather. This humid building for a storm weather can make lots of people feel a bit unwell.

Taz x

KarineT

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 07:30:08 PM »

Taz2, when the dizziness came I wasn't thinking about anything. Or maybe it was on a subconscious level. I had these dizzy episodes before.  Sometimes they bring on anxiety, sometimes they don't. I remember back in 2018,  when I started getting frequent dizzy episodes,  I was watching TV then I felt very strange and it was followed by a nasty episode of vertigo.  I had to lay in bed,  When I feel dizzy, it's almost always out of the blue.  I do know that anxiety can cause dizziness, and in this case it might be psychological,  but I don't have psychological issues.  Aldo, I had medical tests done to rule out any medical conditions.

KarineT

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 07:38:15 PM »

I'm 49 and will be 50 in October this year.  Because I haven't had a period since January this year, this might suggest that I'm in the late stage of perimenopause.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 07:49:13 PM »

Well explained Taz2  :thankyou:

KarineT

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 07:18:24 AM »

Thanks everyone,

I hope I''ll feel better past this stage.  I can't wait for this to be over.

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2020, 07:55:49 AM »

I hope you are feeling better today Karine?

In my earlier post I meant that, although dizziness is linked with anxiety, I felt that maybe you felt dizzy and this then led to the anxiety building up rather than the anxiety causing the dizziness. I've just remembered though that this is the feeling I used to get in peri before I developed hot flushes/sweats. I would have the dizziness and the anxious, jittery, feeling of doom sensations and no flush. As I got further into menopause then the same feelings would be followed by a hot flush. This became the pattern of my flushes/sweats. I would be going about things at work perfectly happily then be suddenly struck by a slight dizziness followed by a feeling that something was dreadfully wrong. My heart rate would increase and I'd feel slightly nauseous before the flush hit. It could be that your oestrogen has dropped enough for you to begin to get the beginnings of a flush but not far enough yet for the flush to actually happen.

Taz x

Kathleen

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2020, 08:25:21 AM »

Hello KarineT

I just wanted to confirm what indigo and Taz have said. Whenever I feel jittery/anxious etc there is invariably  a flush in amongst the mix. I have especially noticed this since stopping HRT and although at post meno my flushes are mild they are definitely still happening.

A friend of mine had lots of dizziness with her menopause but it resolved quite quickly.

Hopefully you find all this reassuring.

Take care.

K.