Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1121614 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #5085 on: April 29, 2020, 05:41:14 PM »

;D

Tawnys R so pretty, well all owls are with their different facial patterns.   My fav is the Canadian Grey .........

Two hoots

« Reply #5086 on: April 29, 2020, 06:28:35 PM »

I had a close encounter with a Tawny Owl last night. It swooped down on something in the field that i was walking next too. My dog's face was a picture, she was like "what the f..k was that?"  :)

Oh you lucky thing, my favourite  ;D

Cazikins

« Reply #5087 on: April 29, 2020, 08:22:04 PM »

They are lovely. Beautiful markings underneath and their real name of Cockchafer should give you a giggle 🤣

Taz x

I forgot they are called Cockchafer Taz. Don't think I'd ever get that close to one to see its undercarriage. xx

CLKD

« Reply #5088 on: April 30, 2020, 03:02:15 PM »

I've waiting until now to report: in case anyone was eating : the SPIDER  :o

I take a glass of chocolate milk to bed.  Last night I swallowed half with my tablets, then in the early hours, another few sips. When I picked up the glass at 9.30 guess what was lurking  :o  ;D ......... the SPIDER : thank goodness I hadn't drained the milk  :-X

jaypo

« Reply #5089 on: April 30, 2020, 03:48:33 PM »

Aww geeze clkd,feel nauseas now  ;D
Does anyone know how to keep crows off bird feeders,bar shooting them,they are so agile,hanging upside down off them,emptying them  >:(

Two hoots

« Reply #5090 on: April 30, 2020, 05:14:42 PM »

I've waiting until now to report: in case anyone was eating : the SPIDER  :o

I take a glass of chocolate milk to bed.  Last night I swallowed half with my tablets, then in the early hours, another few sips. When I picked up the glass at 9.30 guess what was lurking  :o  ;D ......... the SPIDER : thank goodness I hadn't drained the milk  :-X

:barf:

CLKD

« Reply #5091 on: April 30, 2020, 05:36:49 PM »

;D

crows have to eat too  ;) - starlings are the problem here  >:( but I take the flapping of T-towel from the sink in the kitchen part of my exerciser regime  :D

jaypo

« Reply #5092 on: April 30, 2020, 05:38:25 PM »

I know they've to eat but they EMPTY the feeders in minutes and all the poor little birds don't get very much  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #5093 on: April 30, 2020, 05:48:27 PM »

Same with starlings ........ I spent a lot of the day going 'shhhoooo' in a loud voice  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #5094 on: April 30, 2020, 06:25:11 PM »

Aww geeze clkd,feel nauseas now  ;D
Does anyone know how to keep crows off bird feeders,bar shooting them,they are so agile,hanging upside down off them,emptying them  >:(

Our crows don't have much success on the feeders - they are far too big - and feed mostly at the bird table. What do you feed as I thought crows aren't too good with seed? Our jackdaws will have a go though.

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #5095 on: April 30, 2020, 06:27:54 PM »

Same with starlings ........ I spent a lot of the day going 'shhhoooo' in a loud voice  ;D

Please encourage the starlings - they are on the red list and need all of the help they can get. We've just constructed the usual pen for when they bring their young. Usually the first time arrives on the 13th May but as spring is earlier this year we thought we'd be ready for the influx! https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-explorer/birds/thrushes-chats-flycatchers-starling-dipper-and-wren/starling

Taz x

jaypo

« Reply #5096 on: April 30, 2020, 06:43:29 PM »

I feed sunflower hearts,it's definitely the little birds favourite,we have one of those iron hook hangers which is screwed to a big tree,so they swing freely but these crows have figured out how to cling on to them,I've already moved it as before it was on a tree next to a fence and they just used to jump from the fence onto the feeders but now they've been moved they have figured how land on them from nowhere,one bird does it then spills the seeds all over the ground and the rest come and eat them all,very clever but still infuriating

CLKD

« Reply #5097 on: April 30, 2020, 06:47:47 PM »

probably jackdaws?  We have the odd large corvid here but they don't cling, the magpie visits but is soon scared away.  The larger bird shake the feeders to encourage the others  :D

CLKD

« Reply #5098 on: May 01, 2020, 04:22:25 PM »

I put a coffee mat over the glass last night even though I had put said SPIDER outdoors  ;D

Half a blue egg shell on the path ? blackbird ?

jaypo

« Reply #5099 on: May 01, 2020, 05:13:47 PM »

Our squirrel is getting braver and braver,he was sitting on a fence post,only maybe 4 foot high,looking down at my two little dogs who were both on their hind legs looking at him,he couldn't have given a stuff  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 423