Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1121852 times)

Taz2

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #3195 on: June 22, 2016, 02:57:21 PM »

I have the Reading Red Kites overspill flying over my garden. There are over 150 commuting into the town everyday apparently.

I love bullfinches. We have a pair which are obviously still feeding young at the minute as the male and female visit separately whereas, for the rest of the year, they are never apart. I'm waiting for the young to appear..

Taz x

Cazikins

« Reply #3196 on: June 22, 2016, 05:47:38 PM »

I have the Reading Red Kites overspill flying over my garden. T
Taz x

I have spitfires flying over my garden Taz... from the local Festival of Speed. They are going to be noisy buggers all weekend, still we get to see them from our garden.  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #3197 on: June 22, 2016, 05:53:21 PM »

Ah, yes, the Lesser Spotted Spitfire. Haven't seen one of them over my garden for ages....

Taz x  :lol:

Cazikins

« Reply #3198 on: June 22, 2016, 05:54:22 PM »

That's the one Taz, couldn't find it on google.  :lol:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3199 on: June 22, 2016, 08:43:24 PM »

Watched an osprey being chased off the lake without catching anything  ::)

Cazikins

« Reply #3200 on: June 25, 2016, 08:35:18 AM »

Yesterday we had some of those red kites fly over, about 6 or 9 of them - massive they were.

They flew in a formation of an arrow, & boy did they make a noise.  ;)

Cazi x

CLKD

« Reply #3201 on: June 25, 2016, 03:37:43 PM »

That would be geese then  :-\ ……. kites don't make any noise unless they are being harassed by rooks and don't fly in formation  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #3202 on: June 25, 2016, 07:15:27 PM »

:rofl:  See Cazikins previous comment about what will be flying over her house this weekend.... they are a bit bigger than geese or red tailed kites...

Taz x  ;)

Cazikins

« Reply #3203 on: June 25, 2016, 08:04:59 PM »

That would be geese then  :-\ ……. kites don't make any noise unless they are being harassed by rooks and don't fly in formation  ::)

;D ;D Or even the Red Arrows CLKD  ;D ;D

CLKD

« Reply #3204 on: June 25, 2016, 08:59:03 PM »

Oh, were they RED  ;D

That's Goodwood then  ::)

Cazikins

« Reply #3205 on: June 25, 2016, 11:19:26 PM »

Spot on CLKD....
 :clapping: :-*

Taz2

« Reply #3206 on: June 26, 2016, 11:09:17 AM »

The second wave of just-out-of-the-nest starlings descended this morning. They are so noisy but lovely to watch. One poor parent has four to deal with. Well done him/her to get them all to fledge! There are currently fifteen all clamouring for their parents to feed them. The first wave in May brought over thirty babies to the garden and many of them are still visiting. Such busy times!

Yesterday evening my cat was investigating underneath some creeping sort of plant (I'm not a gardener!) which has covered a lot of our patio wall. I had a good look but couldn't see anything but he insisted on going back to the plant. I had a closer look thinking that he had maybe lost a mouse in there and found, tangled up in the long stems of the plant, a teeny young goldfinch. It was very cold and wet but didn't seem injured but was very stressed. I took it in and put it in my emergency wildlife box (actually it's an old Heroes tin with holes punched in the top  ;D) with a piece of fluffy towel, put it on a hot water bottle and left it  in the spare bedroom for half an hour with my very annoyed cat waiting outside. It recovered quite quickly but then I wasn't sure if it was old enough to feed itself as the parents feed a mashed up seed mix for a while - dilemma. In the end I waited until I could hear other goldfinches twittering away in the apple tree. I took the tin downstairs. Shut in my two increasingly agitated cats and opened the tin. It flew off straight away - admittedly it was a little wobbly but it managed to make it to the "big tree" next door. I waited and ten minutes later it was joined by the flock and seemed to belong to them so hopefully it will be ok. This morning there was a similar sized one being fed in the apple tree so I am saying that this is the one I rescued.  :D

Taz x

dazned

« Reply #3207 on: June 26, 2016, 11:15:25 AM »

:medal: for Taz2

DH rescued his second bee this year. It was very still on the floor of conservatory this morning so he lay full length on floor with teaspoon of sugared water ,DH not bee , ;D the bee was coaxed to drink then he flew off out the door,the bee not DH !

Taz2

« Reply #3208 on: June 26, 2016, 12:25:38 PM »

It's lovely watching them recover. There were two in school last week so I used it as a lesson in how to (hopefully) revive a bee. I dipped kitchen towel in the sugar water solution and we watched as they sucked it up and finally had enough energy to begin vibrating their wings. I had just enough time to get them to the door.  http://moralfibres.co.uk/how-to-revive-tired-bees/

Taz x  :)

Cazikins

« Reply #3209 on: June 26, 2016, 02:06:09 PM »

What a lovely tale Taz & one with a happy ending.
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 423